To eat or Not to eat: BEFORE OR AFTER a workout??

Options
This maybe a silly question but here goes:

I was told by a trusted trainer NOT to eat before I workout and to wait 45 mins afterwards to eat. But sometimes I am hungry before I workout and I notice if I wait til afterwards I am starving and nearly shaking by the time I eat. Also if I do eat before a workout how long should I wait to began??

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want to. It makes zero difference as far as body composition changes are concerned.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    It all boils down to personal preference/tolerance. I have no problem working out on a full stomach, others experience nausea.

Experiment and see what works for you.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Weird.
    I wouldn't/don't eat a giant meal right before a workout, but do consume something - whether it's a banana 30 minutes before, or a gel right before I head out the door. Some people need an empty stomach to workout - some people need a little something. Do what works for you.
    And I would not wait 45 minutes to eat after a workout. Especially if it's super intense. You need replenish (some of) the nutrients you lost. Again, not that you need to go eat a giant meal, but eat/drink something (small protein/granola bar, milk, apple, banana, something)!
  • ManicMelody
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out, or I will actually vomit. I am doing INSANITY, though, so that might make a difference.
  • scall34
    Options
    Eat some kind of carbohydrate like a nutri-grain bar about 30 mins before you workout. This will help give you the energy you need to get you through the workout. It is smart to eat before and after your workouts!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that I should eat some fuel (carbs & protein) before a workout and a protein shake after I workout.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before workout...
  • beccafreak
    Options
    I usually eat an egg and piece of toast before working out and then after a workout I immediately grab a protein shake and an actual good sized breakfast. A friend of mine who is trying to become a personal trainer says that your body needs as much protein afterwards and it's best to eat afterwards as much as possible because your body burns calories faster right after a workout versus any other time of day. I don't know how true that is but it sure sounds good and is what I do!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Both. I usually have coffee, yogurt, and a few almonds before; I eat my regular breakfast (oatmeal, fruit, and more coffee) afterwards.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i cannot eat before working out i would throw up i work out in the morning before breakfast then i normally have some sort of smoothie after works for me
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat an hour to an hour and a half before my workouts. And I always eat something within 30 minutes of finishing my workout.
  • Jendulin
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinion about eating before and after and every dietician will give you a different answer. I have looked into this and it is said to eat after you work out to be better. If you can't wait that long try a lite high protein snack before you start so your blood sugar doesn't drop. I don't know about you I find it alot harder to work out when I am full.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    It can be dangerous to eat too much before extreme workout... still, common sense.

its a matter of blood flow: if your blood is at your guts processing the food, you shouldn't make it rush to the muscle
  • lwithrow76
    lwithrow76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're doing weight training, eat, your body needs it. If you're just doing cardio, that's up to you. I always have a piece of Ezekiel w/almond butter about a half hour before I workout. And, always eat something within 30 minutes of finishing a workout. Whether it's just a protein shake, but something to replace that lost glycogen!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    I always eat dinner before working out then I wait 30-40 minutes before I start. This helps me 2 ways 1. I'm not starving before I workout and 2. i get to burn dinner calories too.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    LOL.. Funny thread.

It's a personal preference thing.

Bottom line. It is not inherently better or worse to eat before or after a workout. There are zero body compositional benefits either way, regardless of what trainer, nutritionist, bro, or other told you.
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    I like to eat after.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    LOL.. Funny thread.

It's a personal preference thing.

Bottom line. It is not inherently better or worse to eat before or after a workout. There are zero body compositional benefits either way, regardless of what trainer, nutritionist, bro, or other told you.

^ This.
  • queen_ofjacks
    Options
    I usually don't eat an hour before i go, because i personally get really nauseated, but i do drink a lot of water while working out. Afterwards, I usually eat a banana or something when i get home, then shower and such before eating an actual dinner.

my best friend is a personal trainer, and she says that waiting 45 minutes after you eat is ridiculous, eat whenever you want after! she does recommend not eating for 45 minutes before if you're planning something super intense.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My workout schedule used to be that I would have to workout about 2 hours after I ate breakfast (in which i just had a bowl of cereal). Definitely eat after you workout. I used to never feel like it because I didn't have an appetite after I worked out, at least for an hour or so after. But then I got ravenously hungry! I don't think it's good to push your body on such limited food supplies without replenishing them and giving your body protein and such that it needs to build muscle from a workout.