EAT EXERCISE CALORIES

Options
At least most of them if you are already eating a low calorie diet. From my experience:

I was eating around 1500 calories a day and then exercising 30 minutes (or 3 miles) on top of that and burning an excess of almost 500 calories. I was wondering why I wasn't losing anymore weight, afterall the whole point is to eat less and exercise more right? Well, not necessarily.

I was stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks so finally after reluctantly taking advice to eat my exercise calories (at least most of them) the last week alone I dropped almost 4 pounds.

It breaks down to this:

I eat 1500 calories a day - 500 calories burned from working out = 1000 calories net. I was starving my body and it was holding on to my excess fat!

All in all, eat more (healty food that is) and exercise and the weight will come off!

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    At least most of them if you are already eating a low calorie diet. From my experience:

I was eating around 1500 calories a day and then exercising 30 minutes (or 3 miles) on top of that and burning an excess of almost 500 calories. I was wondering why I wasn't losing anymore weight, afterall the whole point is to eat less and exercise more right? Well, not necessarily.

I was stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks so finally after reluctantly taking advice to eat my exercise calories (at least most of them) the last week alone I dropped almost 4 pounds.

It breaks down to this:

I eat 1500 calories a day - 500 calories burned from working out = 1000 calories net. I was starving my body and it was holding on to my excess fat!

All in all, eat more (healty food that is) and exercise and the weight will come off!

*hides under the table waiting for the nay-sayers to rear their ugly heads*

ps i agree with you.
  • kmicou
    kmicou Posts: 3
    Options
    This is great advice. My boyfriend keeps eating under his calorie intake for the day, buring like 1000cals a day and has hit a wall. I'm going to copy this post and email it to him. Thanks! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I love it that you're already mad and you've only made three posts :laugh:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

It breaks down to this:

*hides under the table waiting for the nay-sayers to rear their ugly heads*

ps i agree with you.

*giggle* . . . . . Wait for it. . . .. I hear . . . the drama. . .. comin.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You make a great point. I see you are new to the forum. I'm afraid you're beating a dead horse as far as this place is concerned.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

It breaks down to this:

Thank you!! I can't tell you how many posts I see about someone's weight loss stalling....well that tends to happen if you are eating 1200 calories and burning 500 to 1000 a day.

Please eat! Food is not the enemy! Undereating and Overeating are!
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You make a great point. I see you are new to the forum. I'm afraid you're beating a dead horse as far as this place is concerned.

To posting yes but I've been reading them for a while and this comes up a lot. I just thought I'd put my two cents out there anyways.
  • josaleigh
    Options
    I love eating my exercise calories, they are yummy!
  • zoey1912
    Options
    Perhaps that's why I'm not losing weight? I'm frustrated very much! I'm not overweight...5'4, 125 pounds, but I packed on 10 lbs in the past year. I've been at 115 lbs forever....and would like to lose that weight. For the past month, I've been eating 1200 kcals/day....and exercising about 4 times a week, an hour at a time, burning about 500 kcals (spinning class or bootcamp class). In fact, I'm noticing nothing that's changed about my body....my jeans/clothes still fit the same, and I weight the same.

Maybe a month is too soon to see results? It's really discouraging, but I don't eat my exercise calories either. Maybe I should? Despite all that I'm reading on this post, I'm still so scared I'll gain weight, because I'd be eating 1700 kcals/day, which is so much more than I ever eat.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Here comes a nay-sayer...

Please explain how this makes any sense.

Please cite a credible study(s) that shows a definite entry into 'starvation mode'.

If you're going to use the metabolism defense, please cite a study that has strong evidence to suggest metabolism is affected enough to adversely prevent you from losing weight.

I am having a hard time believing you should eat back calories you just burnt.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    i dont think eating 1000 cals a day is starving yourself- someone who is very small may be ok on this number-plus, i cant starve with all the excess weight that makes no sense to me. people in third world countries are starving- the phrase 'starvation mode' always makes me cringe, it seems to be used alot , sometimes by people who have no idea of the concept of starvation!!!!! just my opinion on 'starvation'. rant over.

HOWEVER i do think that eating exercise cals can be a good thing, or even eating some of them- if you burn 1000 cals a day and only eat 1200 then i think you could do damage. not 'starvation mode', as you would definetly lose weight, not 'hold on to it' (again, this seems ridiculous to me- if i ate minimal calories for a long period of time i would lose weight, otherwise people would never starve!!!)

so i do agree with some of what you say- there shouldnt be too big a deficit (in my opinion) so eating exercise calories can be a good thing, but 1000 calories wont make you starve. also, two weeks may have been too soon to see the results- or, if you were doing the same thing, your body maybe needed you to mix things up.

in my opinion (i say this alot bc i know people may have alot to say) so again, in my opinion, eating more isnt always the answer. people kept sayng this to me and i believed it for a while, then i found myself forcing food just to make up the calories- that cant be good.

im glad it worked for you. it just may not work for everyone.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Solution:

Stop using MFP's caloric recommendation and go with a formula that makes more sense. Since people tend to underestimate intake and overestimate calories burned, MFP's system can lead to a perfect storm of inaccuracy.

I suggest Alan Aragon's recommendation (from AARR, Feb 2011)
    (important note: target bodyweight for this formula is in pounds):
    Target BW x (8‐10 or 9‐11 + avg. total weekly training hours)

Notice that there are 2 separate ranges of multipliers. The lower range (8-10) is more suitable for women since they have a higher percentage of bodyfat than men, and thus a lower proportion of lean mass. Using the higher range (9-11) on women would have a tendency to overestimate needs. Each range has a certain margin to account for differences in intensity. Low, medium, and high-intensity work can be factored in by using the low, middle, or high end of each range, depending on where your training sessions average during the week. Both formal cardio and weight training sessions must be included when totaling up average weekly training hours. Vigorous recreational physical activity (ie, sports games & practices) should also be tallied in.

Disclaimer: If you've been following MFP's recommendations and it's been working for you, by all means stick to it. ANY formula will only estimate needs and may need to be adjusted up/down.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    Solution:

Stop using MFP's caloric recommendation and go with a formula that makes more sense. Since people tend to underestimate intake and overestimate calories burned, MFP's system can lead to a perfect storm of inaccuracy.

Notice that there are 2 separate ranges of multipliers. The lower range (8-10) is more suitable for women since they have a higher percentage of bodyfat than men, and thus a lower proportion of lean mass. Using the higher range (9-11) on women would have a tendency to overestimate needs. Each range has a certain margin to account for differences in intensity. Low, medium, and high-intensity work can be factored in by using the low, middle, or high end of each range, depending on where your training sessions average during the week. Both formal cardio and weight training sessions must be included when totaling up average weekly training hours. Vigorous recreational physical activity (ie, sports games & practices) should also be tallied in.

Disclaimer: If you've been following MFP's recommendations and it's been working for you, by all means stick to it. ANY formula will only estimate needs and may need to be adjusted up/down.

interesting- mine said 1033 (if i followed it correctly) which seems fine to me, whereas others would scream 'starvation mode' at me.
  • PB67
    Options
    Solution:

interesting- mine said 1033 (if i followed it correctly) which seems fine to me, whereas others would scream 'starvation mode' at me.

That sounds low. What is your target weight and how many hours do you spend exercising each week?
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Solution:

Someone that reads from Lyle McDonald? On MFP? I must be in Bizarro world.
  • PB67
    Options

I hope you're sitting down:

I also subscribe to Alan Aragon's Research Review

jackie.jpg
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Solution:

Awesome! Using this formula I got the same number that the Bod Pod recommended. I love your avi btw.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    opposite was true for me. once i started on 1400 calories per day and i do NOT eat back my exercise calories, that's when the weight started coming off.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    Solution:

That sounds low. What is your target weight and how many hours do you spend exercising each week?

i might have done it wrong, but i eat around 1000-1200 cals most days so it sounded reasonable. target weight is 130lbs exercise would be 3 hrs (not at the mo as im recovering from an operation, but it will be 3hrs as soon as in fit)
  • HerpDerp745
    Options

I hope you're sitting down:

I also subscribe to Alan Aragon's Research Review

YOU'RE NOT REAL! YOU'RE NOT REAL!!!