PREGGO POST and Questions PLZ HELP

Options
Hi All (Missed me?)

I'm back with ANOTHER new attitude. I must admit that I've been pretty horrible about tracking and staying on track during this pregnancy; however, the doctor is kinda giving me NO choice at this point. On my last dr. visit (this morning) I was told that I MUST follow a HIGH protein, low sodium, low sugar meal plan (diet evidentally is a bad word during pregnancy) I'm 6 months and I am ashamed to say that I have been doing little to NO exercise. I've ALREADY gained 18lbs. My goal was to only gain 20 so I will have to up that to about 25-35 lbs :( just to be realistic. Any suggestions on healthy meals and snack for this ever growing belly?

Any suggestions on fruit? The doctor told me NO bananas (which I LOVE) . I'm allergic to mangos and oranges ONLY. I'm pretty tired of apples. Grapes and Kiwi will stay untouched in my fridge FOREVER......any other suggestions :)
I'm really not a picky eater; however, since I have been pregnant, it's been harder and harder for me to stick to a good meal plan b/c of my new dislike for most of my fav healthy foods.

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Berries...strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...they all taste awesome with Greek yogurt
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    how about fresh pears or strawberry and blueberry????
  • sarah829522
    Options
    I really like the Babyfit site for all things pregnancy and diet related. They have meal plans. And it's free. I used it with my last pregnancy, discovered it about halfway through and only gained 30 pounds compared to 65 with my first.
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! Start with plain yogurt and add frozen fruit and maybe a splash milk to thin it out. My fave combinations: strawberry/raspberry, blueberry/fresh spinach (you can't see or taste the spinach!), strawberry/peach.

It's getting close to pomegranate season...they are fabulous on a bed of green with some roasted nuts :) Ditto for pears!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was pregnant. I had so many food aversions, it was difficult to eat healthy. The worst was the time when I went out to buy bigger pants one weekend, and 4 days later they didn't fit (they were too tight). Berries with Greek yogurt are good, but ou have to check on the portion size. Another option is to up activity- prenatal oga was great, especially for reducing fluid retention in the ankles. Find a pool and do water aerobics classes However, you dont want to be me...I gained 85 lbs when I was pregnant and it has taken over a year to get back within 20 lbs of my pre-preggo weight.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    With both my pregnancies, I drank a lot of smoothies. I used yogurt and fozen berries or cherries. You could also add protein powder if you wanted to up the protein. I also took a walk almost every day. I gained 25 pounds with my first and 15 with my second.
  • chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The only fruit that I really ate during my pregnancy was honeydew! The berries is a good suggestion ... I gained I think 27lbs when I was pregnant (thank you french toast!). I would say though, don't worry if you gain over 20 ... this is the time where you CAN gain weight and its okay! :) and you're supposed to ... keep that baby healthy! Congratulations!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, canteloupe, grapes, those are some of my favorites. :) The melons will help with water retention issues, too. For protein, try chicken, lean beef, eggs, yogurt, cheese... Smoothies are a great way to get in fruit + protein and you can put whatever you like into them. You can even put in some stuff you know you should be eating but don't want to eat in it's whole form, since the other ingredients can disguise it a bit. ;-) Oh, and you can manually set your protein/carb/etc goals here on MFP if your dr. has given you suggested goals, to make it easier for you to track.

I make a chicken salad with grapes and apples that is low-fat and would help you get in fruit + protein. It's really easy (b/c I used canned chicken so I don't have to cook anything LOL - but you can use fresh chicken and cook it first if you prefer) and great as a sandwich or with crackers - and it is more interesting than eating just plain fruit. Here's the recipe if you're interested:

2 x 4.5 oz cans Swanson white premium chicken breast in water
    20 red seedless grapes (more if they're particularly small)
    1 small apple
    3 tbsp fat free plain yogurt
    3 tbsp dijon mustard

Drain the chicken and toss it in a medium sized bowl. Break it up a bit if the pieces are kind of big. Cut the grapes into halves or thirds or quarters (personal preference) and add to the bowl. Core the apple and chop it into pieces about the size of your chopped up grapes, add the apples to the bowl. Add in the yogurt and mustard, stir it all up. The whole batch is about 423 calories, I split it into 3 servings of about 141 calories per serving. Each serving has only 8 carbs and about 21 grams of protein. And it's pretty yummy. :-)
  • bjenegiles
    bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the AWESOME suggestions. I have made a grocery list and I'm looking forward to trying all of your suggestions :)