Gratitude Cafe

Options
My DH and I went into Bezerkley today and we found the most amazing restaurant. It is called the Gratitude Cafe, and they have an all vegan, all raw food, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, totally organic, menu.

Sounds terrible right?

The food was FREAKING AWESOME. I am not even kinda joking. It was DELICIOUS!!! My DH (ex-linebacker) even commented, and said that when we come back to Berkeley, we should eat there again so we can try some of the other things on their menu. AND as if that wasn't enough, they also have this really charming ambiance, the dishes are all named for different self-affirmations. The spring rolls we shared were called "I am insightful" and the amazing pad thai I had was named "I am celebrating". My DH had a bowl of miso soup, (he proclaimed the best soup he had ever eaten), and it was called "I am warm". So cute. There is gorgeous artwork on the walls, all in the theme of being grateful for all that we have in our lives.

Now mind you, we are not some hippie granola birkenstock types. This was way different than anything we have ever chosen.

We have eaten in LOTS of very gourmet-level restaurants, and to have DH say it was the BEST soup he ever tasted is a bold statement.

Oh did I mention my whole lunch (very filling and satisfying) came in at about 350 calories? Because of all the veggies! Sigh. Can't WAIT to go back!!

What an eye-opening experience. It was not what I expected at all. Blew away my whole mindset about vegan (aka hippie) food being yucky, bland, whatever else I thought that was all negative.

Anybody that is in the area, I HIGHLY recommend it. They are on Shattuck.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My DH and I went into Bezerkley today and we found the most amazing restaurant. It is called the Gratitude Cafe, and they have an all vegan, all raw food, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, totally organic, menu.

Sounds terrible right?

The food was FREAKING AWESOME. I am not even kinda joking. It was DELICIOUS!!! My DH (ex-linebacker) even commented, and said that when we come back to Berkeley, we should eat there again so we can try some of the other things on their menu. AND as if that wasn't enough, they also have this really charming ambiance, the dishes are all named for different self-affirmations. The spring rolls we shared were called "I am insightful" and the amazing pad thai I had was named "I am celebrating". My DH had a bowl of miso soup, (he proclaimed the best soup he had ever eaten), and it was called "I am warm". So cute. There is gorgeous artwork on the walls, all in the theme of being grateful for all that we have in our lives.

Now mind you, we are not some hippie granola birkenstock types. This was way different than anything we have ever chosen.

We have eaten in LOTS of very gourmet-level restaurants, and to have DH say it was the BEST soup he ever tasted is a bold statement.

Oh did I mention my whole lunch (very filling and satisfying) came in at about 350 calories? Because of all the veggies! Sigh. Can't WAIT to go back!!

What an eye-opening experience. It was not what I expected at all. Blew away my whole mindset about vegan (aka hippie) food being yucky, bland, whatever else I thought that was all negative.

Anybody that is in the area, I HIGHLY recommend it. They are on Shattuck.
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    a vegan diet definately isn't boring but you do have to be good at reading! (food label ingredients!)
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm, I am from the East Bay and I went to a restaurant in Berzerkely that was an italian place that served ALOT of vegan dishes and fish.......IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD......a little small place.

I am gonna have to try Gratitude.

GO GREEN!:flowerforyou:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    SEE?? I am absolutely a hippie type and always sigh when people have these ideas about my hippie food... until they EAT it! Like asparagus, delicate fish, and homemade chocolate pudding, "hippie" food needs to be made well but when it is... LOOK OUT TASTE BUDS!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    We have a place called Sublime her in so flo. It definately lived up to its name!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!