Husband is joining the army

Options
My husband has always wanted to join the army- he'll be 29 next year and we've got 4 kiddos between us (he's got two from a previous marriage, I've got one from a previous marriage and we have a baby together)

He's currently 60lbs away from where he wants to be (I would also like to lose 60lbs)

He's planning on doing "insanity" to lose weight and gain strength. Then planning on going to the gym or starting "insanity" all over again.

Does any one have any tips I can give him from you guys on how to condition his body so that by next aug (maybe sooner) he's in good enough shape to handle basic, etc?

TIA!

Replies

• JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    From my 3 brothers in the Army.... Run. Run, run, then run some more.

Good luck to both of you!
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    My husband is in the Marine Corps. I suggest to your hubby to run as much as possible! Lol.

Good luck!
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    Before I joined I did a lot of running, push-up, sit ups, and weight training in my arms. I was trained by the recruiters at my recruiting station to maximize my initial PT test. I recommend that he does the same as I know that the PT test has radically changed since I was in the Army. Thank you to you and your husband for your service to our country. If you need anyone to talk to about being a military spouse, I have also been there. Feel free to message me!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups.... and then more running... and more running.... Thats basically wat they do a lot of in the military.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Yep. Run a LOT. Like, everwhere. Run to get groceries. Strap the kiddos on his back and run them to school, lol.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

My husband says the same thing. Run. A lot lol. Good luck!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options

What she said! My hubby is in the Army and is Afghanistan right now so I'm pretty sure that would be the advice.Also, work on push ups and traditional sit ups. this is all in the PT test. I bet you could look up the standards online for times, reps and also weight and body fat. Good luck!!! :smile:
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    they do run a lot (I was in) but sit-ups, push-ups, and pull ups are important. nowadays he can also pass the physical test by exercise biking or ellitical, swimming too. not all running. but they will run him to death in basic!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For him:
    * lots of push-ups
    * lots of pull-ups, chin-ups
    * lots of sit-ups
    * lots of running
    * lift weight (free weights or machine)
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

LOL I was going to say the same thing.
    That's what I always remember my husband talking about, was how much he ran.
    Well, he can brush up on his pushups, too ;-)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Im in the Army ROTC physical training now :] The PT test is a 2 mile run, situps, and pushups.

LOTS of core work. and LOTS of running. Good luck!
  • desutton3
    Options
    I went to basic when I was 31, so I feel his (soon to be) pain!

His best bet is going to be to focus on fat loss rather than strength gain. In basic training he will do better if he is lean, then does his muscle/strength gains afterwards.

Right now he should be working on the big 3 - push-ups, sit-ups and a 2-mile run. In order to graduate he will need to be able to do at least 39 push-ups in 2 minutes, at least 45 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in under 17:00.

When I started, on my first test I did 21 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, and ran 2 miles in over 21:00. I was 26 lbs overweight and my body fat percentage was over 26%. 8 weeks later on the final test I did 63 push-ups, 76 sit-ups and ran in 15:30. I was still technically 10 lbs overweight, but my body fat was under 13%.

He'll have to lose 20-30 lbs before he does his incoming medical exam, but your best bet is to talk to a recruiter and see what they say about his weight and fitness.

It's very possible, but the heavier he is, the harder the physical part of basic will be. We just don't bounce back like the 18-year old kids do....
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    And don't forget to include sprints (repeats, fartleks) in the running. Just once a week and it will really increase your pace. I resisted for the longest time because I don't enjoy running or sprinting, but in the end it really helped alot. Practicing for speed is the only way to pass the USAF's new PT test. Army is notorious for being in even better shape than us :) Best of luck to you both!!
  • LeihaS
    LeihaS Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yep. Run a LOT. Like, everwhere. Run to get groceries. Strap the kiddos on his back and run them to school, lol.

This actually made me LOL

thanks so much!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Basics of physical training (PT) in the Army... (91B - Medic Vet here 1/82 Cav mech; 4th ID - Scouts Lead the way....Yes, before those Marines with their camera men; 11th Armored Support)

Pull Ups
    Chin Ups
    Push Ups
    Sit ups (The real deal, not that crunch crap)
    RUN LOTS, and when your are tired.....RUN MORE
    If he can get into running with a Weight Vest....all the more power.

PACO - Running in Place, Dropping for either push ups or sit ups (Otherwise known as Front, Back, GOOOOOOOOOO) If he can get to doing them on a regular basis on a hill - BIG HELP

Qucik Time Road Marching....WITH WEIGHT.

And as ALWAYS the rule in Basic......DRINK WAAAAAAAAAATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The PT is 2 mile run, situps, pushups...but if he BOLOS on weight, he will need the pull ups to get passed the PRE-B Fitness club.