How do You Handle Disappointment

Options
Ok so I'm disappointed that I didn't get the job and I'm still unemployed..... usually this means a binge or two to stuff down all the negative stuff..... New leaf... new life.... need a new solution for disappointment.

Replies

• Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just pray. : )
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Workout - sweat the frustration out. I am an emotional eater myself (so I totally understand). I still occasionally let my emotional eating get the best of me, but now, I try really hard to sweat out my frustration. Anger/frustration can really fuel a good workout (been there,done that). Best of luck to you - don't give up. My mom was unemployed for 18 months, but she has a job now - it will happen.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Ditto the workout. Kick the crap out of some machine. You'll feel better!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    go for a walk or jog! it will clear your mind and empower you! You'll get a job! maybe that wasn't the right one!! Good Luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    Options
    WORKOUT!!! :-) YOULL FEEL BETTER RIGHT AWAY!!
  • Remarkable1
    Remarkable1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take a walk with someone you can vent to!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    work out, work out, work out. channel that energy into rage, and into your extremities. run harder then you ever have, and go make yourself a little better today then you were yesterday.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options

I like this one
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I like this one

This =].

Then run until I think I'm going to puke.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk or jog, go to the gym, do an exercise DVD, keep moving. Exercise relieves stress, especially if you walk away from the fridge. Cook a healthy lunch or dinner and stay away from unhealthy food.

Controlling your disappointment and negative emotions will give you strength to look for another job. Maybe you even find something better that the one that you didn't get. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Good luck!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Remember its NOT your fault... its the economy. You are not alone.

Prayer and exercise... great advice!

After that, find people you know or maybe connected to, that are hiring managers and ask them to give you a mock interview and then be brutal with you in telling you what you need to do better.

Good LUCK!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I went through a huge life changing experience recently and was let down by it, and I started reading this book:

"Stop Whining, Start Living" By Dr. Laura. I know a lot of people aren't fans of her but I promise you it will help. I still have my sad days but this book has made me change the way I look at things. I'm also allowing more positive people into my life both on here and in real life. Change the way you look at things, and be an optimist. It works!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who suggested exercising. I was super super stressed at work the other day and -- much to my surprise -- my first thought was to go walk around the block a couple times. It actually did help me clear my head.

I also want to tell you that I didn't get a job that I was absolutely 100% guaranteed I would get in November of last year. Oh man I cried and cried. Then a month later I got the job I have now and it's the absolute perfect job for me. I'm so glad I wasn't stuck over at that other stupid place when this one came along! :laugh:
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I like this one

This =].

Then run until I think I'm going to puke.

This is also my strategy. I make myself go hard until I physically hurt and feel broken...and after the pain goes away, I feel so much better. Then when the disappointment and frustration comes back, I go out and make it hurt again.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i'm with you - i've been looking for a teaching job for three years now. one principal told me the third grade position i was interviewing had had over 1800 applicants. *1800* for *one* third grade position. i was in the top three. but no job. keep your chin up - it will happen. i try to use this time do do things that i never have time to do when i am employed - reading, writing, beading...it's nice to be able to put in two hours at the gym without having to rush to leave, i try to actually cook...

try to tweak your perception so that you can appreciate the time you have. i keep telling myself, even if i'm unemployed for ten years, when i do get a job, i'm going to miss my free time and wonder where it went!

best of luck to you!
  • Mlehew
    Mlehew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know setbacks can be difficult. but you can't let them change or alter your resolve to be healthy. When I have a setback, I too am tempted to just feel sorry for myself and give up. However, something usually clicks in my head and tells me to stay focused. I have a lot of things that inspire me to stay on the right track. "Biggest Loser" and "I Used To Be Fat" are two TV programs that really inspire me. My daughter laughs at me when I get emotional with the people on TV, but their journey inspires me to keep going. Thy have way more to lose than me, and if they can do it I can do it. Hopefully there is something in your life to keep you going through the rough patches...and there will be rough patches. I also pray nightly for God to give me the strength to continue the journey and to help me better tomorrow than I was today. If you need a friend, feel free to friend me and I'll motivate you to the best of my ability. We can all use more friends and more motivation. Good luck on your journey and keep the faith baby!!!

Michael
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. I didn't really want this particular job - but after 2 years every 'no' starts to get to you.

I'm a thinker and I think everything to death. My brain never shuts off and I need to do something that will distract it or be productive enough to keep it occupied. I'm always thinking, planning, and figuring out stuff. Not just my personal stuff but things I read about in books or hear on the news. Things I need to do - like that long list of chores I keep putting off - That's why I find it so hard to be home alone all the time, its not mentally stimulating.

I don't find exercise keeps my mind occupied enough. However, I will take a walk instead of eating that big Costco sized bag of Halloween chocolate candy my husband hid somewhere.
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In the end I walked but came home and baked.... oops.....