How do I lose 60 pounds?

Options
I need a good diet and exercise plan. I'm 23 183 lbs and 5'2". I also don't have access to a gym so I would need home routines. I also don't have treadmills and stuff like that. I want to lose all this weight in 3 to 4 months. I'm also new to exercise.

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    eat healthy food and move.... one lb at a time :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    First of all, don't set a time goal to lose.
    Create a healthy eating plan. Follow it.
    Walk, run... get outside and move your body.

Good luck! You can do it. Be patient with your body.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Everyone's idea of a GOOD diet is different, but the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title was "One pound at a time".... So often the BIG goal seems overwhelming, but if you break it into chunks it seems easier to grasp. I have another 23.5 that I want to lose, but working on 3.5 first :) That's just me.
  • lsunderl
    Options
    If you have a pair of running shoes you can walk off weight pretty easily! Then from walking, start running! I recommend starting slow or you'll injure yourself and then never want to try again.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Follow the calorie guidelines on this website. Run outside, do situps, pushups, squats, jump rope, dance, lift free weights, clean your house a lot, walk everywhere.

I thought losing weight was going to be impossible. I started by just logging what I ate, and found areas that I could improve (i.e. candy/junk food, and soda was CRAZY!). Be brutally honest with yourself, and log every single thing, even if it makes you go over for the day.

After I got a handle on my food, I started adding workouts. I joined a gym, because I had a big goal to hit, for a trip to Vegas. Not everyone has to use a gym, though.
    Good luck!
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You lose 60 lbs one lb at a time!

You have access to the internet you can find lots of free exercise routines on the internet by typing a google search.

A few inexpensive work out DVDs are an awesome investment and don't underestimate the power of calisthenics and walking. Check out your local library for a new DVD now and then to spice up the workouts. And ask your friends if they have them also.

And if you have netflix you can rent DVDs from them and they also have about a dozen exercise videos on instant watching!
  • Jessicab4e
    Jessicab4e Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get some exercise videos.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    The best advice I can give you eat healthy. Which involves more than staying under your calories. Make healthy decisions. Watch your categories...especially sodium. Drink lots of water. Cut out pop. It's okay to have a small snack or unhealthy food once a week in complete moderation (moderation is my biggest battle). For exercise...WALK. WALK. WALK.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods, fresh fruits and veggie's, watch your portions, LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT (and stay in your calorie limit), walk, run or invest in some exercise DVD's. I'm a big fan of Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is awesome too (and a timesaver!). And remember............it's not 'a diet' it's a healthy lifestyle, learn it, live it and the pounds will start to drop off:)))
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For exercise all you need to do is walk, walk every day. I don't have access to a gym either and I've been losing weight from mfp since august. It's all been from walking every day for an hour and watching my portions and type of food I eat. Trust me, it'll all come off as long as you're true to yourself about what you eat (record all of your food) and make your self get up and be active. I'm only about half way to my goal weight but so far it's been working for me. Good luck!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Change your way of viewing food and take it one step at a time.
    Don't set unrealistic goals. 60 pounds gone in 3 months isn't a healthy goal. Sure, it'd be great, but that isn't sustainable loss.
    Work to be more active in your house. Netflix has some great workout shows on instant play, and I've heard you can find some through YouTube as well. Do some pushups, do some situps, squats, leg lifts, whatever. Start small and work on it.
    I got a treadmill through craigslist. It isn't anything fancy, but it was only $100 and works great for me.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't set a time goal to lose.
    Create a healthy eating plan. Follow it.
    Walk, run... get outside and move your body.

Good luck! You can do it. Be patient with your body.

agreed!! why are you setting a 3-4 mo deadline?
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, stay under your calories, don't eat back your workout calories and drown yourself with water. You will get there. it may be slow, but that is what will keep it off. This is a life change, not a diet. If you have a craving, eat A LITTLE of what it is so you aren't denying yourself. And when it doubt, ask around here. We are all right beside you!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    One pound at a time! :wink: You don't need a gym or equipment to exercise. I've lost over 75 pounds by walking and running and incorporating Jillian Michaels DVDs in addition to logging everything I eat everyday and staying within my calorie goal. Seriously, for the first 3-4 months my only exercise was walking! As my endurance went up, I would walk faster and longer, until now I jog. I even ran my first half marathon at the beginning of October. When I started walking regularly in February, I never thought I could be where I am now! Walking is free and doesn't require anything more than a pair of shoes!

Losing 60 pounds in 3-4 months is not reasonable! Take your time, trying to lose 1-2 pounds week will not only be healthy, but will give you the time to learn how to eat properly and establish an exercise routine. For long term success, I've found that making eating healthy and exercising a habit is what its really all about.

Good luck to you!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    walking, running, taking stairs or jump roping. These are all great excercises that are close to free and get your heart going. I always eat half my excercise calories back. I seem to get a better response.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Change your way of viewing food and take it one step at a time.
    Don't set unrealistic goals. 60 pounds gone in 3 months isn't a healthy goal. Sure, it'd be great, but that isn't sustainable loss.
    Work to be more active in your house. Netflix has some great workout shows on instant play, and I've heard you can find some through YouTube as well. Do some pushups, do some situps, squats, leg lifts, whatever. Start small and work on it.
    I got a treadmill through craigslist. It isn't anything fancy, but it was only $100 and works great for me.

^ Great Advice! Also if you have Xfinity On Demand they have lot's of free work outs in their Exercise TV section. Best of Luck!
  • lschramm
    lschramm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks
    Repeat x3

courtesy of http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well, you have access to outside right? Go for a walk! Doesn't have to be everyday! There's also cheap work out dvd's! If you want to challenge yourself, search for some challenges! It helps to be accountable. Take it slowly, don't starve yourself. Do the recommended by the site. It takes some time to learn how to watch what you are eating, but soon you'll get the hang of it and it'll almost be second nature. This isn't so much a diet as it is a change of how you eat for the rest of your life.

The slower you lose the weight, the more likely it will stay off! Good luck!
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    You have found a great tool to help you achieve your goal - which is very attainable!

My advice, since you asked, is to first not set a definite time limit. You can accept that it may take "approximately" 6 months, or something like that, but doing this the right way does take time.

And my success so far started with walking, plain and simple. Getting out there each and every day, starting at 15 minutes is a great starting point. Soon you will want to increase your activity, and you will see how it is tied to the calories you consume, and you will be on your way.

Good luck!
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has great walking video's!! Good luck to you on your weight loss!!!