1000 Jumping Jacks = 1lbs worth of calories burned?

Options
I've read this stat and I'm not sure I believe it, I think jumping jacks are a great easy cardio that can be done anywhere/time. I'm curious if you all have heard this a know it to be true?

It won't stop me from doing them, but hell it might motivate me more if by doing 1000 in a week I can burn more weight off.

Thanks!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You would have to be burning 3.5 calories a jumping jack. Highly unlikely
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat 1000 Cracker Jacks.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    sounds incredibly far fetched. Maybe 1000 calories burned, but even that seems like a lot.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The database says it burns 565 calories per hour. So you'd need to do it for over 6 hours.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Also depends on your size. A 120 lb woman doing jumping jacks is going to be burning a small fraction compared to a 300 lb woman doing the same number.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    More likely is something like 70,000 jumping jacks = 1 lb burned. But that's very much a guesstimate. If you can get a hear rate monitor and use it while you're doing jacks to get a better answer.
  • jfrankovich
    jfrankovich Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, for my height/weight/gender it would take 293 minutes (almost five hours) of vigorous jumping jacks to burn 3500 calories (1 pound's worth). At a pace of 75 a minute (vigorous?) that would be 21,975 jumping jacks. So 1000 jacks would burn less than one ounce. But they're still a good exercise!
  • QQQCCC
    QQQCCC Posts: 1
    Options
    It's 7000 jumping jacks = 1 pound lost you're suppose to do 1000 a day
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Burpees maybe, jumping jacks, no chance
  • danielleprawdzik
    Options
    The meme that has been all over the internet states that if you do 1000 jumping jacks PER DAY for a week, you would burn close to 3,500 calories which is equivalent to one pound of fat. I have attempted this for a month on a few occassions and unless you are 300 lbs, I highly doubt you are burning 500 calories doing 1000 per day. You might burn 200 but as long as you just cut 300 cals from your daily intake, you will in fact lose a pound per week. :) Get ready fir sore arms!