Need Side Dish Ideas!

Options
I'm going to try this Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese tonight. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-prosciutto-and.html

I'm just going to replace the prosciutto with ham. Any suggestions for side dishes? The family is getting tired of the same old vegetables.

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is in season right now, delish! Saute in olive oil with garlic and top with grated parmesan.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Love asparagus! We have that about once a week. That would be a good one if I can't come up with something different.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is in season right now, delish! Saute in olive oil with garlic and top with grated parmesan.

I vote asparagus, too.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Sauteed brussels sprouts are fantastic with a little butter and lots of spice! Or spaghetti squash with olive oil, garlic and basil. Yum!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    any veggie you want?
  • AshDHart
    Options
    any veggie you want?

We do asparagus, carrots, red peppers, green beans, and corn a lot so anything different is good. I like mixes better than just single dishes of veggies.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower is sooo good! :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have some delicious side dish ideas from a cookbook that I want to try. Ingredients can be found at Trader Joe's if you have one near you.

1. Mediterranean Lentil Salad

1 (17.6-ox.) pkg refrig. Steamed Lentils (about 2.5 c.)
    1 1/5 c. chopped tomato (cocktail tomatoes or baby Romas would be good)
    1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp fresh mint (optional)
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Combine lentils, tomatoes, parsley and mint.

Use a fork to whisk lemon juice and olive oil together. Pour dressing over the salad, giving a quick toss to combine.

Prep time: 5 min.
    Serves: 4-6

2. Persian Green Bean Rice

2 c. basmati rice
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 lb (3 c.) green beans, washed and cut to 1/2-1-inch lengths
    1 clove garlic, crushed, or 1 cube frozen Crushed Garlic
    1 (14.5-ox) can Fire Roasted Whole Tomatoes, diced, half drained, or plain canned diced tomatoes are also okay, half drained
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Spanish Saffron

Place saffron in a small cup; add 1 Tbsp hot water and stir. Set aside.

Rinse rice in water and drain. Place rice in a large pot and fill with at least 8 c. water and 1 tsp salt. Turn the heat on and once boiling, boil for 4 min. Rice should be tender to the bite but won't be fully cooked. Drain in a colander.

While rice is cooking, add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and add green beans, garlic, diced tomatoes and cinnamon. Stir lightly until combined. Cover and cook for 10 min.

Put 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in the pot you used for the rice, and place it on medium heat. When the butter is melted, put 1/5 of the rice on the bottom, the 1/3 of the green bean mixture. Continue alternating layers, forming a mound shape. Pour saffron water over the top and dot with remaining butter. Cover pout. reduce heat to low, and steam for 45 minutes.

Prep and cooking time: 15 min.
    Hands-off cooking time: 45 min.
    Serves: 6
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My best friend's mom makes something her family calls 'squish', it's yellow squash cut in half with the seeds scooped out filled with spinach (frozen chopped, brought to room temp), cheese - usually cream cheese but I've made it with ricotta and goat cheese - and bread crumbs. The bread crumbs aren't essential, and I often just sprinkle them on top instead of putting them in the mix. Bake that til it's all warm and enjoy!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My best friend's mom makes something her family calls 'squish', it's yellow squash cut in half with the seeds scooped out filled with spinach (frozen chopped, brought to room temp), cheese - usually cream cheese but I've made it with ricotta and goat cheese - and bread crumbs. The bread crumbs aren't essential, and I often just sprinkle them on top instead of putting them in the mix. Bake that til it's all warm and enjoy!

Ooh, that sounds good!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am so in love with Green Giant Steamers - Farmers choice healthy colors with cauliflower, carrots, snap peas, and cranberries and buttery stuff. It is sooo good that my kids fight for who gets more.

Sweet Potatoes are always a win in my book.

That squish stuff sounds awesome though.^^
  • princesstweeble
    princesstweeble Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That squish sounds REALLY good!!!
  • AshDHart
    Options
    Some really good ideas here! That squish sounds really delish!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

THIS!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    mashed cauliflower is a new love for me :)
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Root vegetables: take turnips, carrots, onions, potatoes (sweet or regular) and roast them for 30-45 minutes in the oven at 375. Sometimes I do this with squash and cucumber diced thinly. Add some no sodium seasoning and a dab of olive oil before you bake.