Protein Shakes ?

Options
Okay so im probably going to sound like an idiot but i have no idea what a protein shake is , why i should take them and what nutritional value they have for my body.

Do you think there really essential to loose weight and or get a good workout?

Also can you make a protein shake out of natural kitchen ingredients ?

Oh and how often do you take them ?

Sorry if i sound very stupid :D

Thanks !

Alma

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Milk, eggwhites, nuts and you are all the way.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    protein powders/shakes are not essential for weight loss or for working out. all a protein powder is is a quick and easy way to get protein into your body. if you get enough lean protein through you own eating, then you don't need protein powder/shakes. lean protein is important to any nutrition plan because it helps keep you fuller longer...and is an important macro for your lean muscle fiber. it doesn't matter how you get the lean protein so long as you're consuming it.

I've added protein mix to my list of lean proteins in the last couple of months as I've appreciated the convenience of using it and not cooking everything. I use a protein mix that has over 20 grams of protein per serving with few carbs/fat...and which tastes good mixing only with water. some/many folks prefer mixing the protein powder with milk or juice or some fruit. I just take it the simple way. again, its just a way of getting lean protein into my body. does nothing more than 20 grams of protein from chicken would do for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well, protein is an important macro for weight loss not only for protecting muscle in a deficit but protein also has a higher satiating effect then the carbs it generally replaces. Whey or other protein powders are basically hype for 99% of the population, and while someone is in a deficit it's important to eat food that has the matrix's attached for it's micronutirent properties simply because of minimal requirements needed while dieting. imo
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    @Thomasm198 LOL thankyou

I am a vegetarian but i do get protein from other foods !
    Ill try and find some recipes and incorporate them :)

Thankyou everyone