Cramping pain in ribs?

Options
Whenever I do cardio (running or kickboxing even) there are times, more than not, I have to stop because I have a stabbing pain right under my ribs when I should only be stopping because I am tired. I have been having this issue for as long as I can remember, even when I was a child. How do I stop this from happening? I would be able to push so much harder if I didn't get that pain! On days I don't get it I do so much better.

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say about it??
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    Slow down, but keep moving and try to stretch. Also are you making sure that you are hydrated before you being your cardio? I can always tell when I haven't been drinking enough as my calves will cramp like crazy.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's probably a side stitch/side cramp/side ache. Sometimes I'll get these when I'm running and it's usually due to (for me) either drinking too much before I run or breathing wrong. You should google side stitch and it explains different reasons why you get it and what can be done.

I remember reading a while ago that breathing in/out in tune to which leg hits the ground (I forget if it's left/right) will help, as will focusing on breathing. It was a while ago that I read it and I don't feel like Googling, but it would be worth you checking out :)
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I get them too if i eat within an hour before my workout. I just breath and keep going and it goes away after a few minutes. dont know why it happens though.
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    I have this problem as well, and from what I've researched, it is a side-stitch. These can occur in different areas for different people. For me, like you, it's right under or in the ribs. PAIN! gah, I know what you mean, trust me. The best way to alleviate it is to stop, practice deep breathing, and stretch. I know that I have diificulty breathing sometimes because of asthma and I have trouble with diaphragm breathing. This may be your issue as well. As simple as it sounds, proper breathing during cardio can be difficult to attain. I find that I get this pain more with certain forms of cardio than others. For me, running on the treadmill is way more likely to send a shooting kick in the ribs than using an elliptical, so maybe find which exercises trigger it the most. Hope that helps, and hope the pain goes away. If breathing and stretching doesn't help, you may want to see a dr. about it.
  • jdoggie
    jdoggie Posts: 42
    Options
    It has to do with your breathing, you are not getting enough air in when you are working out, just slow it down and take deep breathes and it will get better.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i always wondered what those were. hmmm.
  • KatieMiaX
    KatieMiaX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    sounds like a stich!
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used to get cramps/pain under my ribs when I would run and then I learned I was twisting my torso too much while swinging my arms. I learned to swing my arms parallel with my legs instead of crossing them over in front of my torso (I hope that makes sense) and I've never had that problem ever again.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah if it's a stich then it's a breathing thing...I used to get these frequently when swimming. Just take deep breaths and it should ease up.