Having trouble figuring out calories for meals.

Options
RKA625
RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
I am making a version of that slow cooker salsa chicken today. I entered in the ingredients I used (some differed, like I couldn't find low sodium taco seasoning, and I used 1/2 cup more salsa than the original recipe called for, and I didn't have cream of mushroom soup, so I used cream of chicken).

Anyway I added up all of the ingredients and the whole meal comes to 1,228 calories. Now how do I figure out my portion of that and how to enter the calories?

Replies

• RKA625
    Options
    I am making a version of that slow cooker salsa chicken today. I entered in the ingredients I used (some differed, like I couldn't find low sodium taco seasoning, and I used 1/2 cup more salsa than the original recipe called for, and I didn't have cream of mushroom soup, so I used cream of chicken).

Anyway I added up all of the ingredients and the whole meal comes to 1,228 calories. Now how do I figure out my portion of that and how to enter the calories?
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I'm not into cooking or baking, but I can give you a few sites that members have mentioned that do all the figuring out for you on recipes. :smile:
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/users/myinfo/
  • lobita44
    lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I made the same recipe the other night, added corn and beans, and served it over white rice. I added the corn and beans to the original totals given on this website, and divided everything by 6...but I just had to guess at what was 1/6 of the bowl...so, I guess that's my suggestion...I did have some calories left over at the end of the day, just in case I was wrong.

By the way, I shredded the chicken, and my husband at it on a tortilla! It was wonderful!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I use the Spark People recipe calculator. It allows you to enter the ingredients and select how many servings then gives you the nutrition info per serving. That is what I enter in MFP and label it a meal. If it is something I make often it is easy to just find it again and enter it when I have that meal again.

The thing I like about MFP is I can enter the info then my sister also has access to the info to input. I think whoever's idea that was is a genius. On the other site I would have to input every new food from specialty stores and things but here more than likely someone else has already eaten that food and I just click to check the nutrition info to make sure it's correct then I can add it into my diary. A LOT faster!:drinker:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Click on remember meal to save it. Then, Say the recipe made 4 servings. When you enter it into MFP, enter 0.25 of the meal.

Or, you can use one the recipe analyzers mentioned.
  • RKA625
    Options
    ^ oooooh, ok! That's a real time saver too, because I was entering the same meals as all different ingredients each time and was beginning to think it was a PITA..

Thanks for the help everyone!