Machines vs Free Weights

Ok, this is something i think i know, but i would like a bit of confirmation.

Most serious lifters say to avoid machines, and use free weights. Why is this? Is it purely because machines isolate muscle groups, whereas free weights use more muscles?

And bench press machine vs using an actual bench and bar? Same question...

Leg extensions vs squats/lunges...same question guys! :)

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    That's basically it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    The free weights bring in the ancillary muscle groups for stabilization and balance, thus building more functional strength.

To carry it further with your example, a flat dumbbell press will even get the forearms more involved. Additionally with the dumbbell press versus the barbell, and even more so most machines, one side is prevented from potentially helping the other.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Also, machines force you to work in a fixed plane of motion. Not only does this take stabilizers out of the equation, but it can cause undue stress on the joints if it differs from the motion best suited for your individual biomechanics.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    So what "freeweight" alternative should i be using for Leg Presses? It seems squats are more about endurance than purely pressing heavier...

Also, would lifting free affect the amount i can lift do you think? When i use the pec machine, it seems i can use heavier weights. When i go bench butterfly lifts i always get DOMS from it...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    More muscle groups are used, core stabilizers, etc...

I don't ever say that "machines are bad" because I feel they have their place. Especially if you are a heavy lifter without a spotter. I saw a prime example of this at the gym today because this guy loaded up a bar with weight and needed help from nearby exercises to get rid of it. What if it was early in the morning and nobody was there but the girl at the front desk (for example)? In that case, he probably should have opted for the machine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    The free weights bring in the ancillary muscle groups for stabilization and balance, thus building more functional strength.

To carry it further with your example, a flat dumbbell press will even get the forearms more involved. Additionally with the dumbbell press versus the barbell, and even more so most machines, one side is prevented from potentially helping the other.
    This.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    So what "freeweight" alternative should i be using for Leg Presses? It seems squats are more about endurance than purely pressing heavier...

Squats.
  • ninerbuff
    Also, machines force you to work in a fixed plane of motion. Not only does this take stabilizers out of the equation, but it can cause undue stress on the joints if it differs from the motion best suited for your individual biomechanics.
    And this.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member

If you have correct form and your core muscles are strong enough, you are indeed building those quads, hams, and glutes with heavy weight in a squat.

I personally use both barbell squats AND leg press machine in my workout, but that's just personal preference. It allows me to get the benefits of a squat as well as pure strength by isolating the muscles on the machine.
  • ninerbuff

Also, would lifting free affect the amount i can lift do you think? When i use the pec machine, it seems i can use heavier weights. When i go bench butterfly lifts i always get DOMS from it...
    Leg presses are great. I wouldn't quit them, but supplement the squat with them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member

Squats.

As they say, heavy squats will cure cancer.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member

Squats.

As they say, heavy squats will cure cancer.

Wish it would help my knee...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    ^ what they said.

I can often, not always, see who's using machines in a yoga class. They're the ones flailing all over the place in the poses that require balance. Seriously, I'll start off with a simple tree pose, see who topples and then place them near a wall so we can all avoid injury.

Now I'll probably get blasted by a bunch of weightlifting, machine using, super-balancers.....lol.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I won't repeat what others have said about how free weights and form. But I do both. I do more free weight exercises, but then I will add some with the machine.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    To the OP regarding Leg Press versus squats.

While the squat is a great exercise, it isn't for everyone. Joint issues or upper back issues truly make the squat an unsuitable lift for some individuals. I am one of those, which is no small source of frustration.

The leg press is a great lift. To supplement it, I advocate the stiff legged deadlift. It works the lower back, glutes, hamstrings, and to some extent even the calves. As with all lifts, form is critical for safety.

On back day, if you do deadlifts, you won't miss the squats quite as much.

Enjoy.