Who uses Flax Seed ?

Options
I am curious about the benefits of using Flax Seed and how it helps etc.

Pros vs cons of using it?

What brands are the best?

Best place to buy?

Thanks

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I used flax seed. It's getting pretty easy to find it. I use to buy it at Costco, and have seen it in a big box grocery chain. It has a lot of healthy benefits, but only in the ground form. You could use a coffee grinder for that. Whole seed is only beneficial as a laxative. Because of the high {but healthy } fat is does go bad over time. I kept mine in the freezer. { I am lazy, I bought it already ground.} But do your research if this is something that you would need. Also, research chia seeds, easier to use and equally healthy
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    .. I only used flax seed to make hair gel. Got the idea from Naptural85 on Youtube.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I buy it ground and keep it in the fridge; get it at Krogers. I add it to yogurt, and swap out flax and bran for flour when baking to boost fiber content. Being diabetic I need to watch carbs and adding fiber really helps.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of using ground flax seed? Does it help with weight loss or other things in general? I have never
    used it but someone told me about it.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I buy flax seeds whole, once ground they must be stored in a cool place, oils in them make it rancid, supposedly, no you dont see the oils

i add to home made yoghurt

i love the taste

pros
    lots of fiber
    has omega 3 and 6
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Bump
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Flax seed has a very good omega 3 and 6 fat ratio. It is best to use ground flax seed because the body can not digest the whole seed itself. Also it is sensitive to heat so it is best to not cook with it to gain the health benefits. I add it to my smoothies and oatmeal (after it is cooked)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use it ground and keep it in the fridge. It should be pretty easy to find. I live in a rural area and the closest grocery store to me is in a rinky-dink little town and they carry flax seed in a couple different brands.
  • liaalyn
    liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can it go bad? How quickly? I bought some from TJ MAXX the other day, so that is far from fresh. Then again, its hard to find anything "fresh" these days.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Can it go bad? How quickly? I bought some from TJ MAXX the other day, so that is far from fresh. Then again, its hard to find anything "fresh" these days.
    TJ MAXX the clothing store sells flax seed???? Why on earth would they sell that? Weird.... I think I would prefer buying it at the grocery store. Unless they started something new.
  • JoyCurl
    JoyCurl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I boil the whole seeds to make hair gel.

I also sprinkle the whole seeds on my cereal, it's delicious!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I add the ground ones to yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies and baked goods. They can be a little bitter tasting on their own though. They're supposed to have lots of fiber and be really good for your heart I believe.
  • liaalyn
    liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    TJ MAXX the clothing store sells flax seed???? Why on earth would they sell that? Weird.... I think I would prefer buying it at the grocery store. Unless they started something new.

LOL yeah, I never really thought to buy it before, but I found some there. They have food, random foods (clearly)
  • msterlitz
    Options
    I don't eat flax seed but rather chia seeds.

7 Good Reasons To Start Eating Chia Seeds

1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.

2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.

3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.

4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.

5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!

6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.

7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.

They can be eaten raw. (They have a nice "nutty" flavor.)
    They can be soaked in fruit juice (in Mexico, they call this "chia fresca").
    They're perfect in porridges and puddings.
    They make an ideal addition to baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.

2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.

3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.

4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.

5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!

6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.

Wow, great info as I have never heard of Chia seeds. Were do you buy Chia seeds? Are they exspensive? I was taking a flax seed pill and have finished the bottle and wanted to try it in another form iswhy i posted this thread. I may try Chia instead.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Wow, great info as I have never heard of Chia seeds. Were do you buy Chia seeds? Are they exspensive? I was taking a flax seed pill and have finished the bottle and wanted to try it in another form iswhy i posted this thread. I may try Chia instead.

I'll second the chia seed idea. I eat both chia and flax. Bob's Red Mill brand can be found in most grocery stores - I think they're about $8 for 2lbs.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    I buy this instant oatmeal called Revolution Oatmeal and it has flax seed in it. It tastes amazing and is only $1 for 4 packets!!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I put ground organic flax seed in my yogurt every morning, about 1-2 tablespoons. It helps keep me regular, and has good fats.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

I'll second the chia seed idea. I eat both chia and flax. Bob's Red Mill brand can be found in most grocery stores - I think they're about $8 for 2lbs.

I looked at walmart for the Bobs Red Mill and they didn't carry, I'll go to my health food shop this weekend and see if they have both. Does it hurt to use both Chia & Flax or is that too much? Or is one enough? Great info on this.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax seed-- mix 10 g (about a tbsp) with 10 g of oatmeal (about 2 tbsp) 3 -4 days a week.

I eat it primarily for the fiber and omega 3 fatty acids.