Getting enough protein

Options
I'm new to the site and have been noticing this week (my first week) that my protein is about half what they recommend. I know I should eat more meat, but it is just too expensive to buy on a regular basis. Are there any other protein-rich budget-friendly options you guys can clue me in to? I get free eggs from my parents' chickens and have one or two in the mornings when I have time to make them. Thank you! -Megan

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, canned tuna and salmon (I make salmon cakes out of it), sunflower seeds, and there's a grain called quinoa that's actually pretty good for protein.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, beans...

There are other options besides meat.

Good luck!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Actually, a lot of tortillas and breads are a great source of protein! I like La Tortilla Factory's whole wheat wraps, and also the Hungry Girl Flatout Foldits.

Black beans, which are pretty cheap, are also great.

Light string cheese, Greek yogurt.... tons of stuff.

My diary is open, and I always go way over on protein. Feel free to take a look. I also eat on a budget!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am not a big meat eater so to get enough protein I go with yogurt, cottage cheese, penut butter, eggs and skim milk. I think cheese has right much protein but I don't eat much cheese. Oscar Meyer has this 96% fat free smoked ham in thin pieces that I can usually pick up at Food Lion on MVP of buy one get one free. 4 slices have 50 calories so I eat this with eggs. They also have the turkey that I use in sandwich or salad. You can also consider getting protein powder but I don't know how much it cost.
  • nowornever78
    nowornever78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try Greek Yogurt,Cottage Cheese,Fish, If I am too low at the end of the day I have a Protein shake....
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Most of my daily protein (which I usually go over) I get from canned tuna, yogurt, and my breakfast shake.
  • Anabelle321
    Options
    Boca pattys pretty cheap and full of protein
    I'm actually a vegetarian but I'm over my protein goal every day thanks to these
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can look for sources of protein in beans, hummus, dairy, other seeds and nuts and lots of different places. Check out the suggestions online for low calorie high protein sources ... there are tons of resources online .. especially vegetarian websites for finding protein options that may not be as expensive as that nice cut of lean beef. (Not that I think there is anything wrong with that ;))
    Good luck!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are Super Super inexpensive and a great source.
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Try this recipe:

One large tub soft ricotta cheese (500g here in Australia, not sure what it is for you - you could google the conversion)
    Two sachets of diet jelly
    One cup of hot water

Mix the ricotta and diet jelly powder, then add the hot water and mix all with a stab mixer or egg whisk. Put into 100 gm (again, not sure of your conversion, but it works out at about one-fifth of the mix) containers and set in refrigerator for 2 hours. Lots of protein and pretty yummy. About 45 calories each.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I have plenty of new options to try this week :)
  • bmesser14
    Options
    Low sodium deli slices of turkey
    Protein shakes
    I put a half scoop of chocolate protein shake in my oatmeal for breakfast

Be careful with using tortillas/beans for a protein source - they are still mostly carbs and will throw off your protein-carb balance.