Big Man Shins

Options
I recently finished a workout - 30 minutes running on the treadmill- and a beloved relative of mine came up and said.
"omg, if you keep running you will get big man shins. Look i can see the muscles. Your shins used to be smaller"

So now I'm panicked...but runners always look so long and lean. Sooooo confused. Should I not be running every day? I want to lose all this weight and be lean underneath like I used to, not bulky!

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i sorta just went "lol whut"

no! run like the wind! your muscles will be toned. maybe the relative was jealous?
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Haha.. I know weird topic...
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Kick your friend in the shins.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    embrace the genetics and "run" with it.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure when you run short distances and go for speed it builds your muscles but runners who run longer distances have leaner legs
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure when you run short distances and go for speed it builds your muscles but runners who run longer distances have leaner legs

Really? I have never heard this.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The reason short distance runners have more muscle mass is because they train for it. They do plenty of weight lifting in addition with their running.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

That's because not only is it wrong, it is also one of the most ludicrous statements I have seen on these forums.
  • maura1110
    Options

That's because not only is it wrong, it is also one of the most ludicrous statements I have seen on these forums.

well that was unnecessarily nasty of you. all i did was say something I heard in the past that might apply.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

well that was unnecessarily nasty of you. all i did was say something I heard in the past that might apply.

No, you said you were "pretty sure" of that, inferring a high degree of confidence in that statement. I simply pointed out that the statement was ludicrous. I said nothing nasty about you because I don't know you at all and I'm sure you are an intelligent person. Even intelligent people can make ludicrous statements.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about getting "big man shins" because shins are bones. They do not get bulky.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Calm down peoples! I never thought my big shins could cause so many problems!!! lol
  • maura1110
    Options
    Calm down peoples! I never thought my big shins could cause so many problems!!! lol

Haha no worries! I'm sorry if I provided "ludicrous" information..just trying to help!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    <--- Distance runner.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    <--- Distance runner.

*drool*
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Let me guess. This relative is the picture of fitness, the epitome of what everyone here would just die to look like, right? :drinker:

Just roffles. People will give you all sorts of funny advice, especially if they feel bad about their own habits. Keep doing what works. And you might check out a thread that's been floating around about how it's not that easy to gain muscle. Running a bit here and there will not turn your legs into the Incredible Hulk's.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner (I do short AND long distance....) and a dancer. I don't know about my shins but my calves have been muscle-y since I was young from years of ballet & tap dancing. Sometimes when I hit a lot of hills on my long runs, my calves are sore the next day. Otherwise, I don't really even think about them. With all that being said, I have never had anyone imply that my calves were man-like. I get teased about my arms (mostly by overweight men at work bc they are jealous of my guns) but my legs look amazing, esp in a skirt/heels. :)
    Don't be afraid of building muscle. If you build it and decide you don't like how it looks, it's not permanent. It actually seems to disappear rather quickly once you stop working at it.