Calorie Free Rice? That is just wrong!

Options
I keep getting an ad for calorie free rice on my MFP forum page. I think it's from the miracle noodle people, but that's irrelevant.

I get really bothered by these kinds of foods (like that low cal icecream that pops up here every few weeks) - not because of what it is made of (no idea!) but because it promotes the idea that calories are bad and that you should seek out things that don't have any cals so you can eat still you're stuffed but not get any energy from the "food".

It's taken me quite a few years to get to this point but I've realised that eating BIG quantities of low calorie foods is encouraging me to continue with the bad over-eating habits that made me fat in the first place.
What I have to learn if I want to stay at my goal weight is how to eat the right amount of good quality food and how to enjoy the occasional treat in moderation. Eating more than I need of icecream or rice or noodles or anything else is not going to teach me this.

I'm not against every single low calorie food, I think they are pretty useful if you are on a calorie restricted diet and are relearning how to eat well, but I really get bothered by the advertising that promotes only x calories for a whole pint or whole pack which implies that a whole pint/pack is the right amount to eat. It's not!

Am I the only one who thinks like this???

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    completely agreeee. it's almost like an eating disorder
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you Ruby however there are some people (not me) who cannot eat pasta for health reasons - coeliac disease or general bloating etc and for them this type of product (which is a naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch) is a fabulous alternative.

I for one tried "SlimPasta" only last week for the first time (made fo the same plant a the "Miracle Noodle" and found them to be a great alternative to regular pasta. Not only were they SIGNIFICANTLY lower in calories than regular pasta but they did not leave you with that heavy, bloated, uncomfortable feeling afterwards. I'm a convert and only yesterday went back to purchase more

Kathy
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you Ruby however there are some people (not me) who cannot eat pasta for health reasons - coeliac disease or general bloating etc and for them this type of product (which is a naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch) is a fabulous alternative.

I for one tried "SlimPasta" only last week for the first time (made fo the same plant a the "Miracle Noodle" and found them to be a great alternative to regular pasta. Not only were they SIGNIFICANTLY lower in calories than regular pasta but they did not leave you with that heavy, bloated, uncomfortable feeling afterwards. I'm a convert and only yesterday went back to purchase more

Kathy

You see I don't have a problem with different kinds of foods, its great that there are alternatives that don't make you feel unwell.

My problem is with the marketing spin that "calorie free" foods are what we need. Um, no it's not, we need calories to stay alive!!
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I haven't seen this ad but I don't think I'd want 0 cal rice... doesn't sound like it would even taste good.

As far as lower calorie foods/treats I don't think they are a bad idea but I use them like I would the regular calorie food. I eat a serving and move on. Why eat ice cream with more sugar, fat and calories if you can have one that has less calories, lower fat and sugar?

I get what you are saying though but for some it's not that easy.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Ha! I'm looking for the ads about food now. Mine are always about BMWs, baby products and weight loss.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This is very well written and I completly agree with you. I see so many people start out here on mfp, eating the weirdest low fat/carb/calorie foods, needless to say they don't last long. You can stay under your calorie goal without having to go to these extremes you can cook and eat normal foods. As long as your diet includes lot of fresh vegies and raw products this is super easy to do. I cook the same way my mother cooked, I don't need to start eating pizza with a cauliflower base!

I can understand you weren't referring to people with intolerances to certain foods, that's a whole other subject.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this is why i have an ad-blocker...no ads at all!
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm looking for the ads about food now. Mine are always about BMWs, baby products and weight loss.

The ads you see are based on your recent internet searches or websites you've visited. They are personalized for everyone... kind of creepy! I bought a Keurig coffee machine and now I see those adds all the time!