Hey You Protein Experts!!!!

Options
I went into GNC today and I was curious about adding more protein into my day. I'm not a breakfast fan most days, so I figure I'd incorporate a shake. I wake up at 4/430 every morning and silly ole me isn't very hungry. The guy showed me some shake mix, but many of you have said that you should not replace a meal with whey protein workout mix. This guy working there said that it would not hurt me if I use one scoop for a meal or mixing it in with a different shake. With that being said, I read a whey protein container and it said that same. So, what do I go with? Did I misunderstand him?

Also, he mentioned that no one should consume more than sixty grams of protein per sitting/meal. He then said that I should not intake more than thirty. I'm vertically challenged and not the skinniest person you'll meet. Should I take his advice or does it really not matter?

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have a shake every morning for breakfast but mix it with milk (cow, almond or soy) a banana, some flax seed, some PB, or whatever in order to get some "real food" in as well. I've also heard of protein limits per meal because your body can only break down so much at a time but I don't remember the specifics. I say go for it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    IMHO people at GNC honestly don't know what they are talking about. I have had plenty of bad experiences.

I use a protein shake as a grab and go breakfast :] I add coconut and milk to add in more calories.

Also I wouldn't buy from GNC either. Very expensive. I would get it from bodybuilding.com SO much cheaper!
    If you need help you can message me :]
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat. it won't effect weight loss

as for shakes, whole food meals are generally more satiating, but there is nothing wrong with having a shake as a meal replacement

don't listen to GNC peeps about nutrition, you can have over 60g of pro in a meal d it won't go to waste
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Don't listen to anything that a GNC salesman tells you. They sell overpriced supps, and have no required expertise beyond that.

The disclaimer on the Whey is there to discourage people from using it as a liquid diet, but replacing a single meal won't harm you at all, assuming you're consuming adequate nutrients some other time that day.

As far as the 30g of protein/meal ceiling is concerned, it's a myth. See the attached link:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I do a shake every night before bed to help repair muscles as well as to add more protein. Some days I will have 2 shakes a day. When I have them, they are a meal replacement due to the amount of calories and grams of protein.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    They're your calories and your macros. Do what feels good for your body if it fits in your goals. If that means you replace your breakfast with a protein shake, do it.
  • keddabee
    Options
    I too have a whey protein shake every morning for breakfast because I dont do breakfasts either...

I just have it with water as I cant have any lactose (ewww) and I have it as soon as I get to work :)

I have 23g of protein in my shake every morning. I also have mostly protein in all my meals (eggs for morning smoko, tuna for lunch, meat and veges for dinner).

Good luck!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    As far as the 30g of protein/meal ceiling is concerned, it's a myth. See the attached link:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

That link is a body building site. Doubt that applies to a petite young woman who isn't lifting heavy.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I know a way you can get more protein in the morning...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That link is a body building site. Doubt that applies to a petite young woman who isn't lifting heavy.

the article is based on peer reviewed science, so yes it applies to a petite young women
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I guess i missed that she said she does or doesn't lift heavy. I also wasn't aware petite young girls can't use bodybuilding sites as sources of information. Good to know though....
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I know a way you can get more protein in the morning...

How?
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

the article is based on peer reviewed science, so yes it applies to a petite young women

I personally found that link useful. It gave me what I needed to know.
    Thanks for the input! Yall are WAY more effecient than GNC.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I went into GNC today and I was curious about adding more protein into my day. I'm not a breakfast fan most days, so I figure I'd incorporate a shake. I wake up at 4/430 every morning and silly ole me isn't very hungry. The guy showed me some shake mix, but many of you have said that you should not replace a meal with whey protein workout mix. This guy working there said that it would not hurt me if I use one scoop for a meal or mixing it in with a different shake. With that being said, I read a whey protein container and it said that same. So, what do I go with? Did I misunderstand him?

Also, he mentioned that no one should consume more than sixty grams of protein per sitting/meal. He then said that I should not intake more than thirty. I'm vertically challenged and not the skinniest person you'll meet. Should I take his advice or does it really not matter?

LOL I love what the GNC employees try to tell people. Sometimes I will just walk around and listen to them talking to people and laugh at some of the BS they say.
  • Beberni
    Beberni Posts: 25
    Options
    i use almond milk because of my lactose issue. Try that instead of water. I use the Original or Vanilla Unsweetened. Taste much better. :smile:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and bananas with a good chocolate protein is the bee's knees. That is of course assuming that the knees of a bee taste like deliciousness.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get your BMI reading. If you are a sedentary person, you need .7 grams of protein a day for every pound of LEAN body mass. If you are more active it could go as high as .9 or 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. This is important to know because excess protein, just like excess anything else in your body will be stored as fat. Most people however don't eat enough protein. I like Jillian Micheal's chocolate whey protein powder---$9 at Walmart. Blend it in a blender with a cup of ice, cup of water, splash of cream or half and half and 2 scoops of powder....mmmm mmmmm good.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Get your BMI reading. If you are a sedentary person, you need .7 grams of protein a day for every pound of LEAN body mass. If you are more active it could go as high as .9 or 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. This is important to know because excess protein, just like excess anything else in your body will be stored as fat. Most people however don't eat enough protein. I like Jillian Micheal's chocolate whey protein powder---$9 at Walmart. Blend it in a blender with a cup of ice, cup of water, splash of cream or half and half and 2 scoops of powder....mmmm mmmmm good.

This is the first time I've heard that extra protein turns into fat. Where did you hear that?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

You are wrong it will only get stored as fat if she is in a calorie surplus..... go work at GNC.

Oh and bmi is off for a lot of people! According to BMI Im considerd obese. A better way to know where you stand is a bodyfat reading.