foot/ankle pain

Options
I've been having this weird pain on the far right side of my right foot. It doesn't feel like muscle pain. I've had tendonitis & it also doesn't feel like that. I'm wondering if it could be a stress fracture? I don't run (do all other cardio), but I do workout quite a bit.

Would this go away w/rest? I only did the elliptical today & skipped the Shred because of all the jumping.

Should I have an x-ray to be on the safe side?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "far side", is that your outside of your foot or inside?
  • BSero1982
    Options
    Tough question, in May I had a "foot sprain" not an ankle and quite honest its still sore till this day. And I been done with softball for a few weeks now so I was hoping with more rest that it'd heal up more and it hasn't :( could be a stress fracture. Hope it gets better!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Is there any bruising too? If so, definitely get an x ray.

I rolled my foot several months ago, was diagnosed (without an x ray) as having a torn ligament, and was told by that doctor to walk on my foot as much as I could tolerate after the first two days. Two weeks later, still wickedly bruised and in pain I went to have a second opinion and it turned out to be a fifth metatarsal fracture. I was in a walking cast for a month, and am happily healed now. I can't imagine how long it would've taken to heal if I stuck with the first diagnosis!

So - it's possible to be able to walk on a fracture, and it's not so easy to diagnose from looking at it or feeling pain. If it continues for another day or two I vote you have it checked out. Meanwhile - ice and elevate it, and take ibuprofen for swelling. Good luck!

PS: the 5th metatarsal is on the outside of the foot, and a common location for stress fractures
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Google - "Plantar fasciitis". A very common/painful condition. :flowerforyou:
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I thought it could be would be the shoes that you are using. I sell shoes and we see that quite often when people are using a shoe that possibly has TOO much arch support for you and is actually over correcting you and pushing you to the outside. And if you don't have a shoe with arch support then I don't know what the problem is. I would rest it for a week and see if you still have the pain...then you may have a stress fracture and need an x-ray! Just a thought! Good luck and I hope it gets better. :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Could also be arthritis. I had a very sore foot, right on top, after a cruise with lots of walking, dancing etc., and just thought it was muscle pain. Eventually saw a physio who ordered an x ray because he suspected a fracture - turned out to be arthritis. Easily managed with physio and exercises, now almost completely gone with weight loss.

Definitely get it checked out.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It seems a lot less sore today, so I think I will take it easy & hope for the best!