Lean Muscle

Options
I really don't like to lift weights, but I do like to run. Do you build lean muscle by running?

Replies

• LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Running for long periods, yes. Leg muscles though, I would suggest hitting the lef-weight machines to help with that as well. Also, simple push ups, shadow boxing and sit-ups will help you with arm muscle, back muscle and definition in the upper body.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    running for long periods? Doesn't that break down muscle?

From what I see: Sprinters are buff and Distance runners are walking sticks xD
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    To build lean muscle by running as you stated in your post, you would really need to be doing sprinting routines. These work the fast twitch muscles that build thicker lean looking muscles. Whereas long distance will work the slow twitch muscles giving you the thinner not so lean looking muscle in your legs. My advice, lift the weights! It's the best of both worlds, you're getting the benefits of burning fat all while adding on muscle.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That cardio (running) burns fat~~~leaving lean muscle. Your heart, your lungs and your general overall body systems are loving you for doing it. The potential problem: If you're running where there's a lot of vehicle traffic, you're breathing in a lot of carbon monoxide rather than the uptake of the oxygen the body systems require. If you're running on asphalt (blacktop) or concrete, the pounding you do while running is tougher on the joints (hips, knees, feet and ankles). If you can do the running on a proper running track (groomed dirt surface) or on turf (the risk on that surface is slipping and twisting when damp) because of the improved shock absorption.

Suggestion: Contact the track coach at your local college for good suggestions.

By the way, the physiology "key code" between oxygen molecules and carbon monoxide are very similar. Basically, that's why the C0 is often taken up more by the activity than the O2 quicker
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I posted this previously in a similar thread, but it still applies.

Running (long distance) will harden the existing muscle and usage will fill it somewhat. Typically aerobic activities does not lend itself to the creation of new muscle tissue or hypertophy of muscle tissue to a significant amount.

Sprinters will gain massive legs in comparison to long distance runners, because sprinting is an anaerobic activity that is explosive in nature. This very much contributes to the development of new muscle tissue and hypertrophy.

For someone who's typical exercise is lifting the remote control, taking the trash out and folding their laundry; both kinds of exercise will do wonders in leaning and hardening them at first.

Over time an aerobic only program will quit promoting strength and muscle development other than increasing endurance. As the body becomes leaner, there is even the potential that upper body muscle tissue may actually decrease due to it becoming a physiological liability to the long distance runner.

A great example of this is looking at a marathon runner
    http://kbhr933.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hallryannychalfnyrrorg1.jpg

vs. a decatholete
    http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_athletics/CLAY_Bryan_20040824_GH_L.jpg

you can see the difference in development based on the need induced by the activities.

The question is what kind of fitness activities do you want to engage in and what kind of look do you want.