Are inches really better than pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for about 2 months now. And so far I have lost only about four pounds, but about 13 inches total since my last measurements. Which makes a big DIFFERENCE in my appearance. I just was wondering are inches better than pounds, or are vise versa.
    Exercising is good... we all need to get off our butts and move more even if it's only a walk to the shops and back instead of taking the car.

Exercise alone will only realistically help you lose weight if you are also eating in calorie deficit to your TDEE.

Toning and trimming is fantastic... but there is probably only a few places where less inches really count: neck, chest, waist and hips for women. Sure it's great is you lose inches around your thighs, legs and upper-arms and forearms, but adding them all up and getting a big number ... well if that's what floats your boat!

I'm not saying that folk who count inches aren't putting in the effort, nor am I saying that the scale is almighty and must be worshipped; but I believe you do need to look at a combination of factors to assess how well you are doing.

Body Fat % is my primary concern. My weight is too, because I've a lot to lose. Inches are the icing on the cake. Fitting into smaller trousers/shirts, having to give away clothes that are now way too large and baggy to wear, fantastic! The accumulative effect this all has on my well-being... immeasurable!

It's not about one thing... it's the overall result that really matters. Well done and keep up the excellent work :flowerforyou:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't measure arms and legs at all or boobs... was just tummy I need to lose.. I check that every few weeks after I've gone down a size and new size starts to feel baggy too I'll get tape measure out and see what waist and tummy is.

I'm pleased I lost 11" from around widest part of tummy. I definitely look less pregnant! .. but still want to see numbers on scale go down too before I consider I have definitely 'lost weight'.
  • Skyrocket123
    Skyrocket123 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think we are so conditioned to look upon it as 'weight loss' and that means the scales moving.

But losing inches means that there is something still going on even when the scales aren't moving so I do think both are important so you don't get discouraged.

My scales can fluctuate depending on where they are put (example I was a whole stone lighter when the scales were in the bathroom than I was when I was in the bedroom) so I have to keep focussed on the inches other wise I would feel miserable and like all my efforts were for nothing if my scales are showing me heavier even though I have been working out and eating right.

But I know what you mean, even though I am losing inches and look leaner, until I see the scales moving downwards it doesn't feel 'real'.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think we are so conditioned to look upon it as 'weight loss' and that means the scales moving.

But losing inches means that there is something still going on even when the scales aren't moving so I do think both are important so you don't get discouraged.

My scales can fluctuate depending on where they are put (example I was a whole stone lighter when the scales were in the bathroom than I was when I was in the bedroom) so I have to keep focussed on the inches other wise I would feel miserable and like all my efforts were for nothing if my scales are showing me heavier even though I have been working out and eating right.

But I know what you mean, even though I am losing inches and look leaner, until I see the scales moving downwards it doesn't feel 'real'.
    This is exactly how I feel to!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Who cares how much you weigh if you look and feel good? Weight can be a good guideline for how much you're losing, but why would you care about the number as long as everything else is right? Seems silly.