Halloween: To eat, or Not to eat...THAT is the question...

Options
I've been on my lifestyle change for almost 6 weeks now. I've done well. Not too many cravings.
I should mention I'm a carbaholic....a food addict.....I self medicate with good-tasting food.
One of my loves is good milk chocolate.
So we all know where this is going, don't we?

I know I will stray from what I need to eat once in a while. 6 weeks in and the only thing I strayed on was cheesecake in week 2. But that's it.

I want to engorge myself with milk chocolate on Halloween. I know I will be back to my primal/paleo lifestyle the next morning without a hitch....along with aches and pains (inflammation) from my sugar over-indulgence.

So I want validation, people.

Can I get an "Amen"?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty good plan.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    NOT :huh: one thing leads to another.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    yep...keep it clean. then have some candy and chocolate on halloween. then back on it hard Tuesday
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Wondering if you can work on choosing a few of what you want, and not pigging out on it? Don't completely deprive yourself, and you won't be so likely to go on an all-out binge, IMO.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Nope!

I want you to invision your life for the long run...........don't make excuses....just figure out and then act on what you want 20-30-40 years from now......THAT is health and fitness. maybe the candy figures in, maybe it doesn't.......OR maybe something in between.

cheers!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    It depends. If it were me, I'm like a dog that gets a taste of killing a chicken. Once they start you can't stop them. I'm the same way. Once I open that bag of candy corn, I gorge with candy and sweets all the way through Christmas! So I'm not doing it this year. So for me.....NOT OK
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm not even handing out candy because I am that concerned about being tempted to eat---I know i will and so I just can't do it....
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Why not eat ONE thing once a week. It can be your weekly indulgence :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Shoot for next halloween...you're on a good even track right now, but 6 weeks isn't long enough.
  • anussey
    anussey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You know what, I'm all for splurging now and then, but maybe it's time to start some new halloween traditions that you love! That won't hurt you or make you feel guilty. For instance eating only orange things! wearing only orange clothes! or carving a jack-o-lantern. How about finding a healthier, fruit-based treat to be your halloween standby? But do what's right for you. Stay the course love.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I say eat it, but listen to your body. I have been craving candy corn for three weeks now. I bought some yesterday, divided the bag into serving sizes (in little snack bags), and planned on eating three servings last night (the equivalent to how many calories I have left for the day, approximately). I started eating it, and it was GOOD. But halfway through, I was finished. I put it away.

Tonight, I was going to have some more. And then I was like, nah, not really wanting it.

So, even though candy is my massively huge kryptonite, I got my taste for it, and I'm good. I say eat some chocolate. Just portion out a serving size (or two or three!), make sure that you have the calories for it, and--

LIVE your life without fear of food!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think it will only encourage your cravings. Don't think of it as you "deserve" to have chocolate on Halloween - what you *really* deserve is to conquer your cravings and be healthy.

Dark chocolate is Primal-approved. Go spend a few dollars on a high-quality bar (Lindt or Ghirardelli or something similar) that's over 70% cocoa, and have a serving of it. Try putting it in the fridge first, so it melts in your mouth more slowly.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Have to go with what many are saying: it's just not worth it. I'm not much of a chocolate fan anyway, so that part of it isn't a big deal for me. And last time I got candy corn (which I used to be able to inhale) it was so sweet it made my teeth itch! I just don't bring the stuff into the house anymore.

There's a truism that makes the rounds here on MFP: "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels." I've had a number of decades of eating with impunity and feeling like crap as a result. Been there, done that, got the 5XL t-shirts to prove it. I rather like feeling better, the increased energy, my joints not feeling like they're on fire, being able to walk further than a couple hundred feet without stopping to catch my breath... that sort of thing. Kind of getting used to not being a prisoner in my own body, and it's a pretty great feeling.

You have to make your own decision, and we'll be here to support you come what may. Just wondering if going on a sweets binge for a while isn't going to largely undermine what you've been able to accomplish these past 6 weeks. It's a lot easier to keep momentum than try to build it up again after you've let it slide.

If you really can't resist, then take out a few select pieces and space them out. No need to snorfle a whole bag at once. You'll physically feel horrible, as well as having to deal with a case of the guilties.

All things in moderation, bro. Stay strong and positive! :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well I think if you are really on a life style change then you will keep all the things you like in your life to be successful, but in moderation. I would suggest Silk Dark Choclate Almond milk. 120 cals per cup, very rich and fairly healthy. We use it for our protein shakes. I'm not a big choco milk fan, but this is pretty good and with a little spice and some two dollar popsicle molds from Wal-mart it makes great low cal fudgsicles too. If you deny yopurself you'll find more reasons to binge and end up sabotaging your hard work. Keep the things you love in moderation and that will give you a foundation for success. Good luck.

I always pigout on candy corn this time of year. I bought a bag and gave myself one serving a day and did not feel deprived, nor did it sideline me. It was way to sweet to eat more than a serving at one time, so I think our cravings change after a bit.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. It won't kill you.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So far, the replies have been an echo of the voices in my head..........
    I was engaging in a little bit of hyperbole when I said "engorge".....I anticipate a few kit kats, dove singles, snickers (the Mini sizes...not the full blown size), and maybe a slice of chocolate cheese cake.......as to the dark chocolate.....that doesn't appeal to me...I'm a milk chocolate guy....I only like my bitters in my beer.

IF I didn't "know" I would be back to primal the next day, I wouldn't attempt this.

So keep the opinions coming; I appreciate them!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ive spent the last 10 years "cheating" and the last 4 months tryiing to undo that. if i am going to cheat now its going to be something that is really worth it and it will be in moderation. im giving myself 3 small cheats the rest of the year. Thanksgiving, Christmas and to have some drinks on New Years Eve.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    We bought Annie's Organic fruit snacks to hand out. No temptations yet! Just wait til our daughter comes back from trick or treating. It's ok to have some every now and then. Just be smart!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have been eating candy all month, buddy. Flippin awesome! Maintained weight, too. Like a boss. :glasses:

Eat that candy. Eat it like tomorrow is Nov. 1st.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ok...this is silly...if you don't acknowledge your craving...your going to want to pig out one day and totally feel the change of eating is not worth it...and have an epic fail if you don't go back on..

So seriously...plan for a day once in awhile...we are human...it happens..if you deny..you will decide to tear it up and keep on tearing it up... I have a day and not worry of it..as our bodies need to have some confusion every now and then...

So the next day resume what you were doing prior to the treats and tear it up with eating right and exercise...no worries!! Holidays, Birthdays, Celebrations, can't be helped...just plan for it..if you go to the gym tear it up there and eat accordingly till the time planned..

For me..for instance...I have a freaking birthday party every Wkd...this month..omg..haha, this coming wkd there's 2 of them...and then Halloween..hehe...and I love CHOCOLATE!! Guess whose going to have Chocolate...ME!! :wink:

Hope this helps...I'm still losing weight and inches..so hmmm....am I doing something wrong..I think not!