Creating a routine

Options
Just tossing this out here. I am trying to create a routine for myself. I'd like to lose weight, get smaller, or stay the same. Whatever happens, as long as I don't expand again, right? I have a goal but I'm starting to see that losing inches is happening far easier than losing pounds and I'm starting to accept that.

I detailed my upper body strength routine I did today. Please leave any messages with comments/critiques. I am very open to new suggestions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sarah44254/view/upper-body-routine-oct-24-162269

Also, incredibly interested in learning barbell moves. Deadlifts and the like. I'm frightened of bad form causing injuries, so I am spending time reading about it instead of practicing. Definitely something I need to include soon.

This is my 6 day routine (not quite weekly)
1- Arms - 30 mins
2- Run - at least 30 min
3- Legs - 30 mins
4- Run - at least 30 min
5- rest
6- Run - long run, 60 min plus
then restart the week on day 7.

Thank you :glasses:

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I might change would be to go ahead and add day 7 and focus on core that day. Then just start your week over. Then every week will be the same and you won't have rotating 6-day weeks...if that makes sense. Each day of the week will have the same workout that it did the week before. Other than that, I think your plan looks great!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like it. Nicely balanced between strength and cardio. With that much running, I hope you have a path that takes you over relatively soft terrain. I would worry about your knees if this is on pavement. Since you're a gym member, you could alternate running with stationary bike. I own one and love it. Yesterday I did the equivalent of 25 miles on it, alternating the tension to simulate rolling terrain. I burned over 800 calories doing it - and all while watching a movie. LOL

Also, if your gym has them, consider Kettlebell workouts. Very effective in a very short amount of time. Try googling some kettlebell workouts. It uses less weight and takes the approach of continuous movement. So it's more like cardio with weight as opposed to doing reps and sets. They are relatively inexpensive enough - and small enough - to own one and have a workout on hand at home if you don't make it out to the gym. But I would definitely start at the gym till you work up to a weight you want to stick with, rather than get stuck with a bunch of progressively heavier Kettlebells.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing my runs on a lovely path in my neighborhood. It is about 80% unpaved, just a non-cactus area beside the road that I can zip through. :smile:

Running on the treadmills bore me severely. I have tried alternating speeds, making it a 'hill program', even with music and a TV attached to it, I far prefer being outside, headphone free, listening to the sounds of life around me. The stationary bikes give the same sullen feel that the treadmill does, but biking is something I am missing. I have a bike but the tires are bad, or something. It just rides very poorly and is in need of repair.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    PB67 - what an immense and awesome amount of info. Thank you so much :bigsmile:

jrdoty - a core day sounds really smart. I think I have some aversion to doing core workouts, so they are a weak spot for me. Must have been unconsciously omitted from my routine :wink: adding one in is a great idea, thank you.