Mental health support

Options
bks1
bks1 Posts: 32 Member
As with my previous post, I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic, but with the overwhelming love and support I received from everyone, I feel I need to reach out again in a very dark time for me.

My father has a mental illness. He suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. It triggered after we lost my brother in an horrific car crash- he was 21.

I don't know what it's like to lose a child. I don't know what it's like to suffer from a mental illness. All I know is that I see my father struggling and sometimes it's hard to separate the illness from the actual person. I get mad at him, I sometimes resent him-
He is non compliant with treatment and right now he is on a downward spiral- I fear for my mother and my other siblings safety (I don't live at home with them).

I don't know what to do. I have already spoken to as many mental health professionals and even the police- currently
there is nothing that can be done- the mental health laws have recently changed, making things harder than they already are.

I guess I'm just here to vent right now, instead of crying on my own. People forget the families of those
affected by mental illness. There is such a stigma around it and it doesn't help an otherwise difficult situation.

Thank you for listening, my dear MFP's.

Replies

• Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into NAMI?
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    <3
  • bks1
    bks1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

What's NAMI?
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I will pray for you and your family! Your concern shows that you are very caring.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    just try and be there for him, it's going to be a very hard time for him whilst going through this <3
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear. I can't give any advice on the subject because I don't have any experience with this type of thing but I can tell you are an amazingly strong woman. I admire your courage! Please let me know if there is anything I can do/offer you any support.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I can empathize with your situation to an extent. Mental illness runs back far in my family, on both sides. My father was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Growing up around that isn't easy and had a pretty severe impact on my sister and I's relationship with him. I hope you find a way to resolve some of the bigger issues the illness is causing for him, and those around him (like you.) Hopefully you can get to a point where you can talk to him again and see the real human being that's inside. Mental illness is a dark place no one really wants to delve into, but I'm here for you if you need to talk to someone. :)

Best wishes. <3
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. I have read a book by Dr Hoffa (forgot the name), he did cure many people with mental illness by using the B vitamins especially Vitamin B3. I hope this helps. Do a search in Amazon under books for Dr Abram Hoffa.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's father is the same way that your father is. The only thing you are capable of doing to help him is to get him professional help. He will never be who he used to be, and one topic I struggled with in understanding the whole situation with my boyfriend's dad is that they don't understand there is anything wrong with them. They think that what they are saying and doing is ok. So you'll find yourself getting angry and frustrated with him often, as I do, but try your hardest to remember that isn't him.. it's the disease. It does get worse as he ages, but take it one day at a time and strive for improvements. I'm terribly sorry this happened to you, and if you want to talk about it please message me.

Sending love your way-
  • StuffyStuff
    StuffyStuff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through this difficult situation. Trials and tests in our lives often seem to be more than we can bare and seem to have no end. I dont know if you are a woman of Faith, but I am a believer in prayer. Sometimes prayer and meditation calms my mind and spirit...during times of HORRIFIC emotional anguish I found peace in the midst of my Storm. If you have never tried it...give it a try. If you have ...continue...for yourself, for your family...and all the people around you. Stress will wreak havock on your life ....and your health...trust me I know. And yes this is the perfect place to address these types of issues because it is a part of your journey....your journey to optimum health ! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    HI,
    I certainly can feel your pain and frustration of this overwhelming situation. I am a psychiatric social worker and work in a mental hospital.
    NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness. It is a support group for families and much more. Please google and find a local chapter.
    This is a US organization.
    ((Hugs))
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a mental illness as well, though nothing close to that severe, but even just with what I do have I know how hard it can be and how much it effects my choices, and my loved ones. The best I can give you is what I would want and expect from someone who cares for me (which you seem to deeply care for him!): be there for him. Try your best to understand him. Though I'm sure it's hard at times, really keep in mind about his illness and remember how hard it must be for him, too, next time you get frustrated. However, don't feel bad if you need a day off from it. I'm sure there are times when my SO would rather not have to do anything or think about anything involving it, as I know it can be hard for him. He constantly has to make sure I take my daily medication and that I have my back up everywhere I go in case of an episode. I know how hard it can be from both sides of the spectrum, but just try as hard as you can to understand him and what's going on, but take a day if you need it.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

What's NAMI?

National Alliance on Mental Illness.
    http://www.nami.org/

My friend has a son who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and she found NAMI to be quite supportive and helpful.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i would reccomend the book Muses Madmen and Prophets. ( here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Muses-Madmen-Prophets-Hearing-Borders/dp/B0058M8MIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319557981&sr=8-1 ) it's written by a man whose father suffered from auditory hallucinations. it might help you to see that you're not alone and to maybe understand a bit more.

find support groups for you and your family and for your dad.

your frustration isn't uncommon, but remember that he didn't choose this and that he's probably a million times more frustrated. denial can be dangerous in these situations, but you still want to be his advocate.

good luck.