Type 1 Diabetics & Exercise

Options
Do any other type 1 diabetics feel like they are constantly having to "chase" workouts with a carb correction? I have found that even with a blood sugar between 150-225 before starting my blood sugar will drop to under 70 with an hour long workout. I was on Lantus/Novolog and now I'm on a pump. This has happened while using both methods, but was definitely worse with the Lantus. It's so frustrating to get done with a great workout and have to eat when I'm not hungry! Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• CaoimheAine
    Options
    It doesn't seem to happen to me anymore as I've just stopped reducing. I think your body will eventually get used to it and the routine. But remember to eat 5 meals a day :) It works for me, If I have a late gym session (like 7pm) I just have a snack beforehand so I won't drop, then by the time I get home for dinner I'm still a steady BGL.
    I don't eat many carbs so I don't need to inject myself as much anymore.
    Keep adjusting until it's right or speak to your dietitian :) x
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I can relate but I can't provide an answer :(. Hopefully someone else can. Good go know I'm not the only one though!
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I usually eat a snack right before a workout and then keep a Gatorade or juice with me during. I find if I have some small sips of that during the workout, I can keep my sugar more level while taking in less calories than if I get a low after and get that desperate feeling to eat the first sugary thing I can find.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Warning: I am a nerd.

I can tell you why it's happening, if you're interested. If you're not, stop reading now :P

Our cells, including muscle cells, have these glucose transporters that float around INSIDE the cell waiting until they're needed. When insulin enters our blood stream, it triggers a response in those cells that causes the glucose transporters to move from inside the cell to the cell surface. Once it's on the surface, it moves glucose from our blood into the cell where it can be used for fuel.

But there's a way to get glucose transporters to the cell surface without insulin... and that's with exercise. When your muscles contract, they use up ATP. When ATP is used up, it generates ADP and AMP. When enough AMP accumulates in the cell, it activates a protein called 5' AMP protein kinase and that protein causes the glucose transporters to move to the cell surface.

Thus... when you exercise, you are lowering your blood glucose levels even if you're not increasing blood insulin levels.

And that's probably why you have to chase with carbs. Your muscles are moving sugar out of your blood stream and into your cells and your blood glucose is dropping.

Good luck! I don't know if that info helped at all... I'm not even sure why I felt like sharing. I just happened to know the "why" (or one of the "whys" and... well...
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Warning: I am a nerd.

I can tell you why it's happening, if you're interested. If you're not, stop reading now :P

Our cells, including muscle cells, have these glucose transporters that float around INSIDE the cell waiting until they're needed. When insulin enters our blood stream, it triggers a response in those cells that causes the glucose transporters to move from inside the cell to the cell surface. Once it's on the surface, it moves glucose from our blood into the cell where it can be used for fuel.

But there's a way to get glucose transporters to the cell surface without insulin... and that's with exercise. When your muscles contract, they use up ATP. When ATP is used up, it generates ADP and AMP. When enough AMP accumulates in the cell, it activates a protein called 5' AMP protein kinase and that protein causes the glucose transporters to move to the cell surface.

Thus... when you exercise, you are lowering your blood glucose levels even if you're not increasing blood insulin levels.

And that's probably why you have to chase with carbs. Your muscles are moving sugar out of your blood stream and into your cells and your blood glucose is dropping.

Good luck! I don't know if that info helped at all... I'm not even sure why I felt like sharing. I just happened to know the "why" (or one of the "whys" and... well...

I've actually always wondered the scientific reason that exercise lowers blood sugar, even for diabetics. I'm a biology nerd too, so thanks for sharing! Makes a lot more sense now :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've actually always wondered the scientific reason that exercise lowers blood sugar, even for diabetics. I'm a biology nerd too, so thanks for sharing! Makes a lot more sense now :)

Thanks! I'm glad it was of some interest. My specialty is neuro, but diabetes runs in my family, so my ears perk up (or my eyes perk up?) any time I stumble onto something about diabetes I or II.
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Tara, are you suspending your pump or reducing your basal before/during exercise? ~Erin (type 1 diabetes since age 10)
  • Brittany39down
    Options
    I have the same issue. I usually eat a snack right before a workout and then keep a Gatorade or juice with me during. I find if I have some small sips of that during the workout, I can keep my sugar more level while taking in less calories than if I get a low after and get that desperate feeling to eat the first sugary thing I can find.

My doctor suggested the same thing to me, too. I eat a granola bar about 30-45 minutes before and drink G2 during. I also suspend my pump during cardio workouts but only reduce when only doing weights.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bumping so hopefully a MFP friend can pick it up on her Cell :-)