Ladies, blowdrying hair all the time question

Options
I'm not much of a girlie girl and only rarely blowdried my hair before I started going to the gym so much. Now I have to wash/dry my hair every time I go which could be 4 nights a week. I wash it in the gym and dry it at home.

I now find that my hair is getting dry at the ends. I use a leave-in conditioner all the time too.

I went to the gym last night, washed hair. Going again tonight and tomorrow. My hair isn't dirty, my scalp just gets sweaty and I hate having to wash it again. I was thinking of just leaving it and washing it after spin on wednesday as it will defo need to be done then.

Anyone got any tips as my hair quality is going to pot! Thanks:smile:

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Use a heat protective spray before you blowdry :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair maybe 2-3 times a week. When I am at the gym, I put it up in a loose pony tail and immediately take it out when I am finished and let it dry on its own. Unless it is super sweaty and gross, I don't wash it, because the next day, it's really not that bad. I just brush it, possibly use a ceramic flat iron, and go about my day. When I wash my hair, I concentrate on the roots. When I condition it, I leave it on while I am washing the rest of my body, so my hair is nice and soft.

I am no stylist or anything, that's just what works for me. If I wash my hair more often, it gets dry and unmanageable.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I must check if the spray I use before I dry it is heat protective. if it is, it's doing a crap job!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym or swim sometimes after work. If all I'm doing is going home afterwards I just rinse my hair in the shower (no shampoo or conditioner) and then let it dry naturally. I have long hair so it takes a while to dry naturally and looks terrible. I then wash and blow dry it the next day before work. My hair is dry rather than greasy and this doesn't seem to make it any worse.
  • elimay59
    elimay59 Posts: 471
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday I use lots of product :smile: What if you put a mouse or light gel on it and let it air dry .
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday I use lots of product :smile: What if you put a mouse or light gel on it and let it air dry .

I'd love to let it airdry but I get home from the gym at 10pm and aim to go to bed at 11pm so I need to dry it. I would prefer to let it dry naturally.

Edited to say my hair is super thick and would take hrs to dry naturally anyway. That's why I am letting it grow and then getting heaps of layers out into it, it needs thining out.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've started using some Treseme (sp?) dry shampoo.... and it works really well for when I don't have time to wash and dry.... It smells really good and absorbs.... Suave makes some too. Pretty cheap just to try .....I think I paid like $4
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I wash mine on a sunday, gym on monday (wash it again), gym tuesday (wash it again) no gym wednesday, thursday gym (wash again) and friday aswell.. so im pretty much looking at about 4 - 5 times a week washing my hair if i go on the weekends as well... its long so i need to do it. especially after a sweaty workout... i feel like i need to wash it everytime, however i leave it to dry throughout the evening. then in the morning i will put the straighteners to it or stick it up with hair pins.
  • katielouise24
    Options
    http://www.amarganoil.com/ The most amazing product for my hair when it needs a bit of TLC - Hair Therapy Oil. Use in wet and dry hair. I have thick hair and lots of it! I have to wash it a lot too - you can get it a lot cheaper on EBAY and a big bottle lasts me about 6 months or more. It leaves it soft and glossy.. Highly reccommend! And it's great for all hair.. My mum uses it who has short very thin hair from effects of a thyroid problem!

Hope it helps, because I don't need to use leave in conditioner, heat protective spray hair spray of anything xxx
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of great suggestions already but I want to add that if you have to blow dry keep the nozzle pointed down so its hits the thickest parts from the roots down. I also only wash my hair every other day and use a spray before I straighten it. I had to switch brands too. It costs more but makes a huge difference for me and I use less oils and stuff on my ends now.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Dry shampoo! I use Batiste, I swear by the stuff, it honestly works wonders. I've used it when my hair has been a lot worse than just sweaty from a gym workout, I've used it at times when I haven't been able to wash my hair for 2 or 3 days (festivals and that sort of thing) and it's made it look and feel back to normal. You just spray it in, give it a couple of minutes then brush it out.
  • Joannie1987
    Joannie1987 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will now be at the gym most days either swimming or having a workout - I air dry and also Just rinse with only conditioner as its the sulphates in the shampoo which dry out your hair - And wash my hair properly in my usual routine of every 2 to 3 days - And I am a huge fan of dry shampoo love it!
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have very long and thick hair, i wash it everyday with herball essences (keep an eye out for the offers!) i never blow dry it during the week, just put it in a bun and go to bed, its usually still wet where the bobble has been in the morning but thats not really an issue for me as i wear my hair up for work.

Id try not to blow dry it everyday, also not sure if you use strainghteners? but cut donw on usuage of those. Ive had to reduce heat damage!

xx
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym or swim sometimes after work. If all I'm doing is going home afterwards I just rinse my hair in the shower (no shampoo or conditioner) and then let it dry naturally. I have long hair so it takes a while to dry naturally and looks terrible. I then wash and blow dry it the next day before work. My hair is dry rather than greasy and this doesn't seem to make it any worse.

I pretty much do the above too. You could just part dry your hair and then let it dry naturally on the way home for the rest? I don't use any additional products in my hair but I try not to wash it everyday as it just gets too dry.
  • lilah808
    Options
    Try "it's a 10" spray leave in conditioner. It's kind of expensive, but one bottle should last 4-5 months. I wash and condition and towel dry my hair. Then I spray it on my damp hair before I brush it. I don't use a hair dryer often, but "it's a 10" seems to lock moisture in the hair. Hope that helps.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    http://www.amarganoil.com/ The most amazing product for my hair when it needs a bit of TLC - Hair Therapy Oil. Use in wet and dry hair. I have thick hair and lots of it! I have to wash it a lot too - you can get it a lot cheaper on EBAY and a big bottle lasts me about 6 months or more. It leaves it soft and glossy.. Highly reccommend! And it's great for all hair.. My mum uses it who has short very thin hair from effects of a thyroid problem!

Hope it helps, because I don't need to use leave in conditioner, heat protective spray hair spray of anything xxx

I totally agree with this!!! Love argan oil! I try to avoid blow-drying my hair, but it's very thick, long and curly and prone to dryness on the ends, and using a drop or two of the argan oil on the ends really helps! I also use 100% organic coconut oil in my hair when I shampoo and it really helps to moisturize without weighing it down. I use a clarifying shampoo once a week, and then do a regular shampooing (using Dr. Woods Sulphate-Free Liquid Black Soap) about 3 times a week using a mix of 2 -3 parts shampoo and 1 part coconut oil. I only shampoo my scalp and the first couple inches of my hair then I condition the last few inches of my hair using a mix of Nexxus conditioner and avocado and honey!! On the rare occasions that I do straighten my hair,, I use argan oil and Nexxus Heat Protexx spray.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo

argan oil is also totes amazeballs
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    the dry shampoo is called baptiste
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I must check if the spray I use before I dry it is heat protective. if it is, it's doing a crap job!

maybe get a dry shampoo to spray in the next day as well?

i wash my hair every other day, and use a dry shampoo in between. i have slightly greasy hair, and its great for perking it up on the 'other day'.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    along with all the other suggestions use a hair mask once a week