Building the lower back

Options
Morning all,

Once again I am out of action with muscles spasms in my lower back. (Injury from a car accident 4 years ago)

Doc's have me on anti-inflammtory's which is annoying as hell as I can't go to the gym. Been lifting weights and doing Cardio for 2 months with no problem and this injury is not through Gym as it went on a none gym day while I was in the office.

So what can I do to increase the strength in my lower back to try and prevent this happening again once I am over this episode?

At the moment I do about 30 mins on cross trainer/bike and about 30 mins on weight machines (I know their the devil but doing free weights is still intimidating when you don't really know what you are doing). twice a week.

I do chest press, Seated bicep curls, lateral arm raise and pull down and gym ball crunches.

None of which I feel are working my lower back muscles.

I am guessing I need to do some core/mat work and make sure I stretch.

Anyone able to give any advice?

I may just need to suck it up and try and work out on a quiet morning going into the free weight and doing something there.

Thanks all

Replies

• Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    avoid high impact exercise!
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Can you expand on High Impact exercise?

Cadio/running?

I am going to try and start swimming more as in my mind the water will help suspend me, no impact but it is working the muscles?
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last year and the only thing that I found helped me to stop the muscle spasms so I could exercise again without taking meds was going to the physio every two weeks for 3 months. The stretching exercises that they gave me to help loosen up the spine and stretch out the muscles causing the spasms really worked. I had back spasms a month ago again and I just dug out the exercise sheet and just did those for a while.

It may be worth a trip to the physio just to get the information so that you can be aware of triggers and what to do when you feel them starting.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have TOTAL sympathy for you. I am a back spasm-er too, probably triggered by a riding accident I had 12 years ago and not helped by being hyper mobile in all my joints.

I have been told that Pilates and yoga are good for core strengthening and stability and when I have full use of my knee I will be going back to the yoga - if nothing else it burns calories, tones and relaxes you!

See if the gym you attend has a beginners Pilates class and give it a go? Good luck!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would say deadlifts. I know they're free weights but (with good form!) they should really help your lower back.

Is there anyone you can go with, or get one of the staff at the gym to show you? Youtube videos on it, and start off really light, because seriously the form is everything with that, especially if you have previous back problems.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I am going to try and start swimming more as in my mind the water will help suspend me, no impact but it is working the muscles?

swimming is the best thing anyone could do.... specially good for those with back problems!! (orthopedic surgeons recommend it always)
    lowest impact ever + muscles work in the best way possible
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    1- Lower back:
    Hyperextensions, hold a weight in your hands if you find them too easy. I can tell you: you are going to feel the burn with this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLYwZLWFGiU

2- Also you will need to do abs/crunches, since you want to keep a straight position (and to prevent muscle imbalance). Make sure you keep your lower back on the ground when you do them (by what I mean only the upper part of the torso should flex, like a U, the lower back + butt stay on the ground).

3- Apart from that, you want to strengthen your "core" (that is the way you use your muscles in combination), so just go for exercises that challenge your balance. E.g. swiss ball push ups - your whole body should be tensed and shaking when you are doing this, which is what you want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPv4L77rZQ

EDIT: as some other say, avoid impact, and swimming is good.
  • Tarsonis
    Options
    Here are some excerises that are designed for lower back muscles:

Knee to Chest
    Pelvic Tilt
    Hip Rolling
    Pelvic Lift
    Lower Abdominal Exercises
    Curl Ups
    Cat and Camel
    Tail Wagging
    Hip Extension
    Hand-Knee Rocking
    Lying Prone in Extension
    Press Up
    Back Extension
    Arm Lifts
    Hip Extension
    Knee Push Up
    Push Up
    Trunk Rotation
    Full Back Release
    Upper Back Stretch
    Side Bending
    Backward Bending
    Pectoralis Stretch

And here is the link to show you how the excerises are performed. http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html
    I usually do two to three exercises when doing my regular back exercises.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have you considered aqua aerobics?

I had a shoulder operation some years ago, and my physiotherapist put me onto hydrotherapy. Once I had "graduated" from the hydrotherapy, I moved on to aqua aerobics.

I don't know how it would go with your back, but anyone who thinks it is easy should try doing sit-ups in the water without any buoyancy aids!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best exercise ever for your back! I went to a one off session at a chiropractor and he showed me some exercises to strengthen my lower back, which I do in bed before I've even gotten up! Very easy and takes only a few minutes :)
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with constant muscle spasm in my back causing psuedo sciatica and scoliosis. I go to a brilliant osteopath once a month and have found that swimming and Pilates help considerably.
    I take anti inflammatories when I need to and strong painkillers if it all gets too bad ( usually becuase I have been siting on trains for too many hours in the day).
    Try Pilates!
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Thanks all.

I got a referal through the Doc's for physio. So when that eventually comes through I will go to that.

Sadly my private medical don't kick in for another 2 months and I think they excluded my back trouble as well so I got to wait for the good old NHS here in the UK.

When I get back to the gym I will have a chat with the guy's there and see if I can get some assistance in the free weights area.

Also will look at swimming. Sadly the gym (Read cheap) I am at does not have a pool. But if I start using the pool regularly I might trade the gym up to another one that does have a pool.

I will look at those exercises and I plan to start doing more core work so hopefully that will all help.

Thanks again for all the top advice :o)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Back extensions.
    Rows. of all kinds. I especially like the One arm dumbell row. google that one. Fixed my back.
    All hamstring work is good for your lower back too. You'll need someone to show you some good ones for that, like deadlifts. there are many variations. Try finding one you like, and run with it. Once you know how to do that safely, your back will strengthen up real quick. along with the rest of your body.

perhaps a training session with a real coach would be beneficial here. Not a half wit personal trainer (which for most, its just a job - remember that) at some random gym, but a proper coach. cost is basically the same. benefits? tenfold.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Newbeetler, I am so glad your doc finally prescribed therapy. In the meantime, perhaps start with beginner yoga class or walking in the water.

I would trust a therapist. I would not trust a trainer for an injured person, I have read and heard too many stories of trainers that just do not "get it" that one should not push for the max. I just worked with a trainer that was showing new moves and wanted me to work with weights that pushed me to the max. Nooo, I am just learning the movements. I forced the issue to work with the lightest weights, learn to move, and increase resistance afterwards. I don't work with him now.

I would NOT agree with free weights. With an injured part, you want complete control of where that weight is going. If you suddenly de-stabilize you may want to drop the weight, fight against the urge, and as a result over-stress your back. You do not want to push it and go into spasms. Those would re-set any progress you made.

Your back hurts and spasms. Think in terms of therapy, range of movement, and stretching. Do not think in terms of exercise. That implies real force.

Swimming and water therapy - Uerzer is absolutely correct. Swimming or just walking in the pool is excellent exercise.
    Some therapy classes are done in the pool to support the injured body part.

Tarsonis listed many good gentle back movements. They seem to be listed from easiest to more difficult. I think it is a good progression. It may take you several years to be able to do the entire list - this is reasonable because your back in injured.

I would NOT NOT NOT really work the back if it is hurting. You don't want to over stress it. You do NOT want to feel ANY burn just now. Things like rowing are wonderful for the entire body and back - eventually - but you simply want to move without spasms.

I have had a spasming back. It is horrible. Too much force and it hurt for days.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Do take it lightly as it's your back and it needs to suit you, so going with Dr's advice also an absolute must especially if it's a physio Dr. Pool absoutely and core exercises that are a mix of yoga (to your level) will allow you to build all the muscles in your middle with your stomache, side and back. Core is the focus as you need an all round strengthen and not just back only. Best of luck. I feel your pain! Go carefully what ever you do. Just try it all whilst in the pool and it will reduce your body weight enough to help you focus on the muscles being used with each exercise and you can focus on avoiding pain and further injury that way. Yay to summer huh. Well it is here in Australia, dont know where you are but best of luck with the pool anyway. cheers
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Thanks UKaryote.

Its really gone bad again today. Strange thing is i did not do anything taxing yesterday.

Will let it settle down with the anti-inflammatory;s and then start with the swimming gently.

I take my girls swimming every Sunday (Luckily its half term this week) and that is mostly walking in the pool for about 30 minutes.

Just need to teach myself to take it easier with the bouncing around the pool for a few weeks as well. Sadly we have moved from the hydro pool which used to make a real difference.

Going to have to think long term about this one. Was hoping to get the episode over and start back on the cardio but can now see that is just not going to work.

I hope the physio appointments come through pretty quickly. Luckily the physio is attached to our surgery so here is hoping it is just a letter upstairs. But I know what the NHS is like at the moment.
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Thanks LooseWheel.

Sadly the winter has come to the UK.But that ain't going to stop me.

I swim all year around :o)
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine has been an ongoing problem for 3 years, some days are good, some not so good and I have no idea what triggers the pain. It's good to know that i'm not alone though. My lovely Osteopath has made quite a difference but of course she is private not NHS. All the doctor could do was prescribe Diclofenic and advise that I would have to live with it. I'm sure that commuting for a total of 3 hours a day is not helping. Southeastern Trains are not reknowned for their ergonomically designed seats.
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Most definatly not alone.

I am the same. Doc's can only give neoproxen and tell me to go to the physio.

Did the same last year and it made a difference but I still don't know what triggers it.

I can do months of throwing my 4 year olds around. Lifting them. playing in the pools.

Heck I even went on space mountain and star tours last year with no problems at all.

Yet sit at my desk and it just goes. I do wonder if it is the ever changing climate. Cold weather etc.

Hopefully the swimming and core exercises will help out. We shall see.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mine has been an ongoing problem for 3 years, some days are good, some not so good and I have no idea what triggers the pain. It's good to know that i'm not alone though. My lovely Osteopath has made quite a difference but of course she is private not NHS. All the doctor could do was prescribe Diclofenic and advise that I would have to live with it. I'm sure that commuting for a total of 3 hours a day is not helping. Southeastern Trains are not reknowned for their ergonomically designed seats.

Would you recommend an osteopath ?? My massage therapist suggested I should see one as my scoliosis is causing me some problems recently ... Pain in between my shoulders and in my leg .. Want to try and find an exercise to strengthen me but not really sure where to start