what makes you put on pounds overnight? SO UNMOTIVATED

Options
hi all, feeling very unmotivated just now. I just weighed myself and have put on nearly 3 pounds since my last weigh-in which was about 3-4 days ago. I've been very good with food and allowed myself one cheat day on sunday. Even then I didn't eat a huuuge amount, just more than usual. I know fine well that I've not put on 3 pounds of fat but it is so unmotivating. I know salt bloats you but would it really still be bloating me 2 days later??? what is it that has caused this substantial weight-gain literally overnight???

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Takes about 3 days for water weight to clear.

If you haven't eaten the calories, you really haven't gained fatty weight.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    if your kcal are ok.... then it might be just water... try again weighting tomorrow morning before eating anything
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Same.

I had a big birthday dinner on Saturday night but not enough for a weight gain that I've had.

80.8kg on Saturday up to 82.9kg Monday down to 82kg today... hoping it goes down again tomorrow! But just trying to be GOOD all week.

Really don't like the number jump but don't see how it can be "real" as such, I ate a lot of calories but not enough for 1.2kg GAIN.
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One of the intro threads mentions that for every gram of (something related to carb-derived energy) in your body, you retain 3 grams of water. Could that be the answer? It's not permanent weight gain, anyway :)
  • Deb2012
    Options
    One of the intro threads mentions that for every gram of (something related to carb-derived energy) in your body, you retain 3 grams of water. Could that be the answer? It's not permanent weight gain, anyway :)

Really? I've never heard that before, but it could explain my extra 1.2kg - I had a nice Italian bowl of spaghetti :tongue:
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I gain weight if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep. >,<
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its because you need to use the toilet, i weighed myself before and after a bodily function and my weight was 2lb difference. gross i know
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Two words-Water Retention. It will go off in 2-3 days if you get back to weight loss regime again.
  • JoyCurl
    JoyCurl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ^^^ITA--I've lost 5lbs overnight due to urination.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking lots of water....I used to really see-saw on the weight, and since I started drinking more water, I find that I have less of a difference in my weight. You may have to pee more, but it's worth it! :smile:
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I had a big birthday dinner on Saturday night but not enough for a weight gain that I've had.

Same thing happened to me a few times!

And there is some explanation:
    Two words-Water Retention. It will go off in 2-3 days IF you get back to weight loss regime again.
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Well I weighed myself this morning and I'm back to my pre-birthday dinner weight and down 200 grams extra! YAY :happy: Don't fall off the wagon & it WILL go away!
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    deffo water. the only way its actual weight gain is if u ate thousands more calories than you burned, approx 3500 cals for every pound. if u didnt eat this much then its just natural water fluctuation. i weigh every day and im understanding how my body reacts for example- i ate too much sodium ysterday, and, hey presto- i gined a pound today, and i knew i would.

dont worry