Boyfriends eating habits are killing me

Options
So, I recently bought my first home and my boyfriend has moved in. Very happy :love: but his eating styles are causing me to slack. He is in GREAT shape and is typically a healthy eater. However, if I eat the steak/ mashed potato/ rice/ vegetable dinner he eats it is waaaaay to much food/calories for me. I eat whatever he eats b/c its easier and it often looks better than my alternative. I feel like if I eat a seperate dinner it will feel like I'm on a diet and that is why I LOVE this site, b/c I never feel like that. I know I can eat a smaller portion of what he eats but we just have different metabolisms and my body does best when I eat heavier in the morning and afternoon and have a very light dinner. When I lived aloe I typically ate rice or a sweet potato and vegetables with milk for dinner. I know what I need to do to succeed but its so hard now that hes here eating very different. I don't know if I should tell him how I feel b/c I dont want it to be a converstaion everynight. I hate being singled out when I eat b/c it makes me feel like Im being punished for being fat. HELP MFP friends :explode:

:heart:
Shannon

Replies

• shannonbanana
    shannonbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So, I recently bought my first home and my boyfriend has moved in. Very happy :love: but his eating styles are causing me to slack. He is in GREAT shape and is typically a healthy eater. However, if I eat the steak/ mashed potato/ rice/ vegetable dinner he eats it is waaaaay to much food/calories for me. I eat whatever he eats b/c its easier and it often looks better than my alternative. I feel like if I eat a seperate dinner it will feel like I'm on a diet and that is why I LOVE this site, b/c I never feel like that. I know I can eat a smaller portion of what he eats but we just have different metabolisms and my body does best when I eat heavier in the morning and afternoon and have a very light dinner. When I lived aloe I typically ate rice or a sweet potato and vegetables with milk for dinner. I know what I need to do to succeed but its so hard now that hes here eating very different. I don't know if I should tell him how I feel b/c I dont want it to be a converstaion everynight. I hate being singled out when I eat b/c it makes me feel like Im being punished for being fat. HELP MFP friends :explode:

:heart:
    Shannon
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Have the steak and veggies...skip the potatoes and the rice...double up on the veggies...steak is great once or twice a week...sub in some fish and chicken....it can work and have him trade a few nights...share and share some more

oh...edit to add....congrats on a new home
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    It takes some adjustments.

Do you cook or does he cook?

After a year, I have been slowly able to talk the boyfriend into eatting healthier foods. I even talked him into tofu one night! Basically, if I find a tasty recipe, he'll go for it.

You may just have to do your own thing or modify what he is doing.

You'll get there! I have to say, I actually eat better now that I live with my man because my food doesn't always have to be of the "quick out of the box" variety. I am learning to love cooking and finding healthier foods now.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Just have what he is having, but less.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has always been lean and pretty much eats what he wants. But lately, he's noticing that it's starting to catch up with him!So, I think if you start setting a positive example for him maybe he'll follow! And I really agree with eating some of what he's eating but then substituting the really bad with veggies.

Good luck!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I try to balance it - 1/2 the time I'll make a super healthy meal (tonight we're having tuna and broccoli casserole), and 1/2 the time he'll choose what we eat and I'll eat a smaller portion. For lunch, he made a frozen pizza. I had two slices, he had 6!! I'll have 2 slices bacon for breakfast, he'll have 4.

eat together, just balance it out.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You're both grown-ups. He's not going to care if you eat something different, nor will he care if you just eat less of what he's eating. After 3 years, I will honestly tell my bf if I don't like something he's made, and he doesn't get upset about it. He knows how I eat because I've been doing this for a couple years, and however he wants to eat is his business. :smile:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I try to balance it - 1/2 the time I'll make a super healthy meal (tonight we're having tuna and broccoli casserole), and 1/2 the time he'll choose what we eat and I'll eat a smaller portion. For lunch, he made a frozen pizza. I had two slices, he had 6!! I'll have 2 slices bacon for breakfast, he'll have 4.

eat together, just balance it out.

Yes, thats what DH and I do as well. Last night we had pasta with alfredo sauce and I indulged but only consumed 400 calories. Tonight we are having baked okra and grilled chicken.

MFP isn't about denying, its about regulating. So enjoy your food (and his). :flowerforyou:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I HAVE THE ROCKINIST MAN OF ALL TIME!!!! My honey is fit and burns all day as his job is extreemly physical. So I told him now that I am not employed, I need to focus on my health.....If I can't find a job I gotta do something, now is a good time......so he has been SUPER supportive...if I make turkey burgers, he eats 2 and adds his chips.....if I make taco salad we do it with ground turkey and I add more meat and cheese and tortilla chips on his....I leave his snacks to him to make and he usually has a couple bolgne sandwiches and I eat fruit.....as long as he doesn't cook something yummy that I can't have. He knows I am cravin ice cream.......so he brought me fat free whip cream home......he refrains from bringing fast food home and if he is gonna eat it he eats it for lunch while at work..

I think your best bet is to tell your boyfriend how you feel, if he loves you he will support you, even if he thinks you don't need to lose weight, or that its your problem. This is important to you....and if it is important to you it should be important to him. Men like to fix, tell him you need him to help you that you cannot do this alone. Do the weekly menu together and be prepared to do some small subsituting for yourself. When my honey cooks he lets me know all the ingredients he is planning to use and I help him convert to either a healthier alternative or less if possible. He doubles on my veggies and adds a fruit if I need one.

So work together on this...........you are gonna do great.

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • shannonbanana
    shannonbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. Sassiebritches, I like the idea for the weekly menu. Will do. Thanks :drinker:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    You would tell your boyfriend hes not "gettin any" unless he shows you more support for you bettering your health!