Carbs and Sugar

Options
I am new to this site and my current settings track my calories, carbs, protien, fat and sugar. I can usually be under my calorie goal, my fat and carbs no problem. I NEVER seem to eat all my protien for the day and I ALWAYS go over my sugar and sometimes my fat content. I know this is a problem with my nutritional intake and what I choose to eat but has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to resolve it, nutritionally?

Replies

• ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't eat bread by the way.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I track cholesterol instead of sugar. I was told by my diabetic nutritionist that as long as I am eating healthy sugars (fruit), track total carbs and don't worry about just sugars.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my nutrients and have the same problem. I try to adapt my menus as I go, trying to pinpoint which foods made me go over my allowance for the day.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I go over on sugar alll the time soooo I got rid of that tracker on here and started keeping track of something else instead because the sugar numbers being red every day was stressing me out. So, I would say get rid of it UNLESS you are needing to track it for health reasons, of course!
    Sometimes I would eat a banana for brakfast and that with my oats would send me over for the day.......already over at BREAKFAST!!! I was about to lose my mind! :laugh:
    Good Luck to you!
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Thanks to you both...I went back to each day in the past week and I see where my problems lie. Beverages that are not water and sweets. There's something about this all being in writing that really keeps me accountable and I can't pretend like I don't know what I am doing and eating because it's all right here.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for protein are string cheese, chicken, fish, greek yogurt (watch the sugar on this....try plain and add berries), a small amount of nuts.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a lot of fruit, as it's an easy snack to carry around, and I like it (sweet tooth!), and almost always end up over my sugars 'allowance' also. I wouldn't worry too much about it , as long as you're not eating or drinking a lot of refined sugar. I tried switching to vegetables, as someone had suggested, and it didn't make a lot of difference - there are natural sugars there too - and I got some very odd looks gnawing on a carrot on the tube at rush hour! I occasionally find myself over my carbs allowance courtesy of fruits and vegetables too. I'm taking the numbers as a guide, rather than a hard and fast rule.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Thanks I just might because like you said it is very discouraging to see that number in red by the end of the day, or sometimes by lunch. I ate 20 grams of sugar just yesterday morning by eating greek yogurt...really!?! That was more than half my daily intake.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Thanks, greek yogurt was my breakfast of choice yesterday and I was halfway done with my daily sugars after that!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    (quote)
    Sometimes I would eat a banana for brakfast and that with my oats would send me over for the day.......already over at BREAKFAST!!! I was about to lose my mind!
    (quote)

Me too - drives me mad! I use bananas as a mild nerve-suppressant for work (it really helps!), so every time I have an audition or a performance - BOOM! Effortlessly over the line.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    I switched to sweeteners like honey, agave, stevia. Took some getting used to, but now "normal" sweets are too sweet for me. I like truvia as a sweetener option that I can take with me. The little packets fit nicely in a small pocket of my purse.

I also upped my protein and fat (good fats like EVOO) and having the upped protein and fats curbs my hunger, making me not crave quite as much the things I shouldn't be having.

I do indulge myself in a sweet here and there, but moderation is always key.

For me, as a person who really ate way too many sweets, switching to alternate sweeteners and non-processed foods (because almost everything processed has some sort of sugar in it) has made a huge difference in my life.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Awesome, I will take your suggestions.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you share your diary, we might be able to give you specific advice about what you eat, but in general, you just have to find foods that you can reasonably enjoy that have the nutritional balance you need. I have a few "meals" that I eat a lot and only eat outside that a few times per week. That helps me a) stay with my nutritional goal, and b) makes it easier to log my meals.

I have set my macro nutritional goals in MFP to be 20/50/30 (Carb/Protein/Fat), and I am pretty close 9 of 10 days.
    Here are a few of my normal meal choices:

1) Country Cookin' meal (there a a couple of decent country cooking buffets around where I live, and I also make this stuff myself sometimes)
    - 12-16oz Bakedgrilled Boneless Skinless Chicken seasoned with a variety of spice powders and as little salt as possible.
    - 3 cups Collard Greens
    - A small 2-4oz of other buffet items for taste (never desserts :) ... stuff like pinto beans, meatloaf, fried chicken, tuna salad)

2) Grilled Chicken Salad
    - 12-16oz of the same grilled chicken above
    - 2-4 cups of raw spinach and or lettuces
    - salad vegies
    - low sugar vinagrette dressing

3) Omelette
    - 1 cup Egg Subsitute (like Egg Beaters)
    - 2 or 2 laughing cow cheese wedges
    - 4 tablespoons of a good low sugar salsa

4) Chicken and Hummus
    - 12-16oz of the same grilled chicken above
    - 1 cup of Hummus ( this one is a little carby for me, but it's fiber and it has lots of good oils.)

Of course, these are things that I like to eat, and you will have to find things that work for you
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and my current settings track my calories, carbs, protien, fat and sugar. I can usually be under my calorie goal, my fat and carbs no problem. I NEVER seem to eat all my protien for the day and I ALWAYS go over my sugar and sometimes my fat content. I know this is a problem with my nutritional intake and what I choose to eat but has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to resolve it, nutritionally?

Unless you have a specific health concern like Diabetes(sugar), high blood pressure (salt)I would not be too concerned about going over on anything sometimes. Just keep your calories under your goal and it will all even out in the wash nutritionally.