Working out in the winter - Suggestions?

Options
Hey everyone! I hate, hate, HATE the cold and it seems to have found me again so I'm looking for some suggestions on what I can do/how to stay motivated to work out when I barely want to crawl out from under the covers. Any and all suggestions/input/advice welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes you feel warm.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I actually exercise better when it is cooler outside. I have a treadmill at home and when i get bored of that I jog up and down my stairs or jump some rope. I have a Wii fit plus so I will do that on my rest days. Right now it's hard to do anything because I am 35 weeks pregnant but I am looking forward to getting back into a regular exercise routine again.
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes you feel warm.

Normally, I would agree with you 100%. But this morning I did 6 miles and I FROZE my buns off the entire time and I was movin' for fear of cramping and dying of hypothermia.

So my suggestion is: warmer clothes. Or, you can do videos at home. I love love love Jillian MIchaels Banish Fat- Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones. When I can't get out, I do them back to back and get a good burn in.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The gloomy overcast days make me not want to get outta bed. In fact, I'm sitting here delaying getting my workout on because I just don't feel "perky" enough. I HATE when the sun goes bye bye for awhile. It has a major effect on my mood, for sure. My recommendations (and I'm about to go get mine) is get yourself a sun lamp - I use Philips Blu Light - and use that baby everyday. Also, be sure you are taking a good multivitamin so you aren't getting too low in vitamin D (or other fantastic vitamins like the B's). Drink lots of water....and well, tell yourself you ain't getting any smaller just sitting there under your covers....and like Nike says JUST DO IT. :o)
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    If the problem is getting outside, even if it's just to go to the gym, then workout at home. There's lots of good DVDs out there, many that need little or no equipment. I like Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones, both have segments so you can do a few or have a good almost hour workout if you do the whole thing (with warm up and cool down). Of course, find something you like or you won't do it. Personally it's just getting so that I CAN go outside here... our high will be 91 today but only 84 tomorrow! Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My mum just bought me new trail shoes to motivate me to keep running in the winter. I hate leaving the house in the cold though. I live in a ski resort and I find it hard enough to drag myself skiing sometimes! How bad is that?!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you're a walker - exercise videos. Look into Walk At Home videos. I started using these when I got tired of the treadmill.

If you have a bike - you might look into indoor bicycle trainers.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workout dvds you can do at home... Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels, Leslie Sansone, Tae Bo, etc...
    www.collagevideo.com is a great website to find workout videos... Good Luck!