NSV with negative impact !

Options
2»

Replies

• countrygirl_717
    Options
    Taking them to a resale shop is a good idea, at least for the ones you wouldn't or couldn't alter. Then at least you can get something for them and put it towards better fitting clothes. AND those resale shops alot of times will have some awesome looking clothes to buy too, for much cheaper prices!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Alter what you can and start saving money for a whole new wardrobe when you meet your goal weight. I'm down 16 pounds and am already going to need to take a few things in. I have about 54 more pounds to go, so I know I'm going to have stages where I have to buy a few pairs of pants and such. But I'm avoiding buying as much as possible because I know I'll have to get a whole new wardrobe once I hit my goal weight.

Once you do hit your goal weight and have to get rid of those clothes, find a consignment shop and see if you can get some money for them. Another good option would be to donate them to a women's domestic violence shelter, especially if they are nice clothes. Many times, those women are trying to interview for jobs and get back on their feet without their husbands and shelters often need nicer clothes for that purpose. That's what I'm planning to do with my nicer clothes from work when I'm ready to get rid of them. The casual stuff will probably go to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but the nicer stuff will go to a women's shelter so that hopefully someone can use it for work or interviews.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten some great advice so far. Don't forget stores like Ross, Marshall's and TJ Maxx, if you have one in your area. My sister just got a new job so she dragged me into Ross this weekend looking for suits. (I really never shop there because the lines are usually long at the one near me due to border-crossers looking for good American deals.) I ended up finding two cute pairs of colored jeans for $15 total.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Once you do hit your goal weight and have to get rid of those clothes, find a consignment shop and see if you can get some money for them. Another good option would be to donate them to a women's domestic violence shelter, especially if they are nice clothes. Many times, those women are trying to interview for jobs and get back on their feet without their husbands and shelters often need nicer clothes for that purpose. That's what I'm planning to do with my nicer clothes from work when I'm ready to get rid of them. The casual stuff will probably go to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but the nicer stuff will go to a women's shelter so that hopefully someone can use it for work or interviews.
    This is a great idea! We have a charity here called "My Sister's Closet" that operates out of the local YWCA and its specific purpose is to provide nice interview clothing to women in need. They have drives here at my work every 6 months or so and I've donated a few nice button down blouses and pants in the past (we wear business casual.)

I'd encourage anyone who can to donate clothing to organizations like these.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Do you have an upscale consignment shop? Here we have a shop that only takes name brand, hot fashions, or trendy vintage... you take your clothes that are to big and trade them for smaller ones... or you could donate them to Goodwill and get a reciept then you get a tax write off?
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will have a couple things altered and give the rest away. Just need to shop for a few new clothes & some bargains to hold me over. Just wanna look good in what I wear. Thanks again.
  • ginandtonica
    ginandtonica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why do you love those clothes so much? They represent the old you! Put them away until you hit your goal and see what you can do with them then. Better yet, sell or donate them...no fat clothes means to getting fat again! Then, girl...go shopping. Try on some new clothes and see if you are still in love with those old ones. I love JCPenney for bargains...hit those clearance racks for some basics to get you through. Maybe get some fun jewelry to jazz them up. Forever 21 has some fun, super cheap things. You deserve to look your best all the time, not just when you reach the finish line!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could find a consignment shop and exchange them there. You will sell them and get money for them. You could in turn buy some used clothes, then you won't feel so guitly having different clothes.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Put them all in a photobucket account and sell them locally on Craigs List. You'll get $10-20 at least per item which will help. Anything not worthy of selling, donate.
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    do they have a clothes swap in your area??? I know some places swap or buy them off you!! if not and if u can possibly find a seamstress these days then just alter them!!!! maybe ur local cleaners has their own seamstress!!!! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!