gazelle: elliptical trainer??

Options
Hey there! I've been using my gazelle a friend gave me and sorting it under elliptical trainer in my exercise log... Is that correct? When i googled it, it said it was an elliptical machine. But when I log my time on it.. everyone makes such a big deal out of how many calories I burned so I'm wondering if I'm logging it correctly... I know there are many different types of ellipticals... any thoughts on this??? thanks!

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yours doesn't have a calorie counter/timer on it? I have one as well, I go by the calories burned output on mine but it's about half of what the Elliptical results show from MFP. It's not as intense as an elliptical, but it is still considered one. I'd probably put it more towards a treadmill, honestly.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    "Don't sweat the small stuff". Any form of cardio is good! Whether your heart rate is up from elliptical or gazelle it's up and burning calories.
  • e_stone
    e_stone Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the Gazelle and the calorie counter seemed extremely high so i researched it a little and a lot of people were saying it was innacurate and to determine accurate calories burned you need your weight. someone recommended fatburn.com you go to "free tools" then "calories burned from exercising" you put in your weight and search the Gazelle in the drop bar and what intensity you use it at... That is a significant difference compared to what the calorie counter says. Just what I do so if there is another more accurate way I would love to know also!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I looked it up on fatburn.com and created my own entry. I thought that I could set it up for other people to use like the food entries, but for some reason it didn't show up on the general list. I have both the elliptical and a gazelle glider. The calories burned on the glider are a little less but still really good.

However, unless you are eating your calories back, it shouldn't matter. People should be supportive and not questioning you down about your calorie burns!!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about a gazelle, but I do know I don't really go by the calories burned on my stationary bike because I can't input my weight, etc. on it. That machine is assuming I'm at an "ideal" weight, so I use MFP's estimate on that. I've compared it to other websites and find it to be quite accurate. My treadmill lets me input my weight and age and everything, so its calorie burn is pretty accurate; it is also pretty close to the MFP number. Both machines have a heart rate monitor so I can check my pulse periodically and make sure I am in a good zone. If you know your heart rate, you'll probably get the best estimate of calories burned, so I would suggest even just taking your pulse a few times during a workout to get an average. Then you can use a website to figure out your calorie burn based on your weight.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have used a Gazelle and an elliptical trainer, and regularly use a x-country ski machine. I can't really work up a sweat on a Gazelle. I don't think that it burns nearly as many calories as an elliptical trainer, and I don't think logging it as the same would be accurate. This could really affect your weight loss efforts if you are eating back all your exercise calories.

It would be worth it for you to buy a HRM to get a more accurate estimate of calorie burn during your workouts. Polar FT4 or FT7 are popular with MFP people and are not very expensive. I have a Polar FT40 which I think is awesome, but it is a bit more expensive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I have used a Gazelle and an elliptical trainer, and regularly use a x-country ski machine. I can't really work up a sweat on a Gazelle. I don't think that it burns nearly as many calories as an elliptical trainer, and I don't think logging it as the same would be accurate.

If I'm on my gazelle for more than 10 minutes, I work up a good sweat. Maybe your body just burns differently than others.
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is an older machine, so no the calorie thingy doesn't work unfortunately :( I work up a pretty good sweat on it... I will look into fatburn!! thanks so much! :D
  • AdrienneinTO
    Options
    I have used a Gazelle and an elliptical trainer, and regularly use a x-country ski machine. I can't really work up a sweat on a Gazelle. I don't think that it burns nearly as many calories as an elliptical trainer, and I don't think logging it as the same would be accurate.

If I'm on my gazelle for more than 10 minutes, I work up a good sweat. Maybe your body just burns differently than others.

Maybe. Or maybe I wasn't doing it right. Which is why a HRM would be useful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Could also be your BMI. I'm obese. Activity is generally a good sweat for me.
  • AdrienneinTO
    Options

Could also be your BMI. I'm obese. Activity is generally a good sweat for me.

Certainly keep up what works for you. If you're working up a sweat, you are probably burning calories at a decent rate. I was encouraging my mom to use her Gazelle until she hurt her knee (hopefully she can get back to exercising soon).
  • roxannecoleman
    roxannecoleman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a gazelle freestyle elite. It has a display monitor on it but the only thing that works on it is the pulse. Do you think if i'm logging exercise, I'd be safe to choose treadmill since the intensity for gazelle is less?
  • Cenay
    Cenay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to fatburn.com, for my weight and activity level while on the Gazelle, I am burning about 14 calories per minute. At a higher activity level (vigorous), I would burn 20 calories per minute.

I am fine clocking 14 per minute and staying at moderate, then I can go longer without falling over at the end of the workout.
  • mgj652
    Options
    :smile: I have one I got from K-mart. I never felt it did much good until I watched the video. Now, I know why they say it burns 1500 calories per hour. Lean back on this thing while moving your feet for a minute the lean forward for a minute. Alternate evey minute.. That works you triceps and biceps.. I am wet with sweat when I get off this thing after 30 mins...
    You get out of this Cardio Glider what you put in to it...Its up to you..
    :smile:
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Its like you read my mind, I have one that I brought to the office and I use it on my lunch break, I never knew what to log it under either. I also always put Elliptical. Gonna try the website. Thanks OP!! :smile: