Partially insulting NSV.

Options

Replies

• kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah... well, as all of America gets more overweight and more obese (i.e. fatter), then those who are in a health weight range (i.e. "skinny") look like tiny little freaks to everyone else. That's just the nature of the beast I guess...

Sorry if that is totally politically incorrect, but I hear this all the time, too. "You don't need to lose weight, you look great. If you lose weight, you'll be too thin. Etc, etc, etc." These are the excuses they are telling themselves and we don't need to take them to heart. After all, we are losing weight and getting healthier for ourselves, not for them. Carry on, sister.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That's super frustrating! I'm sorry to hear it! Don't listen, though. You look great!

About the scrubs, maybe you can get them taken in a bit. It's probably cheaper than buying new ones, and that should make them fit you better.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I get that quite often. I started my journey at 265/270. The heaviest I've ever been. I'm at a healthy 210 (205 depending on the day). It amazes me to hear people tell me that I'm too skinny. At first, it would drive me crazy and make me feel like my successes were meaningless. That being said, I did some soul searching and realized that where I am today is at a peaceful and happy place in my life. Feelings I never had at the heavier weight. Maybe its jealousy, maybe its envy, maybe its just their honest opinon. Either way......their opinions, whether negative or positive, wont deter me from living this healthy lifestyle.

Be proud of where you're at. You've worked hard for your successes and life will reward you. :flowerforyou: You're gorgeous. You're beautiful. You're on a positive track. Hear their words and smile. Their words are a combination of letters and accents. Your actions are a combination of sweat and diligence. What do you suppose matters more? YOU DO! :happy:
  • socialite1
    Options
    Someone told me just this morning that my head looked huge because I had lost so much weight **blink, blink, stare**. Umm...ok. Thanks??

But great job! It will take some time for them to get used to your new figure. I'm sure the comments will stop after a while.

That made me giggle! I hope you laughed and took it as a compliment! It seems saying "Oh my god you've gained two stone" isn't the done thing but losing weight is a different territory of conversation! :flowerforyou:

I wasn't offended at all. It was just such a strange thing to say. It made me laugh and shake my head at the same time.
  • ajr050969
    ajr050969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have some really jealous co-workers!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I posted my pic on facebook after getting down to 169 from 248. I was told I was to thin and that I was taking this thing to far and maybe I was OCD. I thought WOW I didn't know the abreviation for dedication was OCD.

Wow! You need some better friends. I can't believe anyone suggested diagnosing your mental health. Good grief!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I power walk during my lunch break. One time when I was finished and came back to my desk my co-workers asked if I had baggy clothes that don't fit anymore. I wasn't sure where this was going so I said yes all of my clothes are very baggy and getting too big. Their reply was, you know if you keep losing weight you're going to have to buy new clothes. Ummmm, yes idiots! that is the point! Sometimes you run accross people that are flat out mean and are jerks...I ask myself, do they really want to be thought of like that? Or do they just not know how to express themselves? I know who I am and where I am going. I want to be fit and strong. Forget what all the haters say, just do your thing and enjoy life with confindence. You know you are working on the right things, so any third degree at this point is just blind judgement.

LMAO! I get the "you're going to have to buy new clothes" alot too!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    yeah, I actually thank them and say its a compliment...
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I own only 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants that are actually my current size. The rest are way too big or baggy.

I went from a size 40 waist and size XL shirts to a size 32 waist and size L shirts.

I hear it all the time.. look at you skinny boy. I hate the word skinny and thin. I would rather hear toned or built. But these over sized clothes look ridiculous. lol

When your clothes fit properly it creates a more attractive overall picture. This is what I have been told anyways.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Depending on when you work out, they may just be noticing your fatigue, etc. If you work out before or during the workday, people might be seeing you a little disheveled or weak looking, and it may affect their opinion. At 148, I don't think you should give their comments any credence, though. Keep working towards your goal, by all means. I just know that, after an intense workout, I look a little sickly and weak, myself. Maybe that's what they're seeing...

Oh, and you SHOULD see collar bones. I mean, there's no physiological benefit to having fat around your neck and shoulders to the extent that you can't see collar bones. Who says that?
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    OMG yes!!! I HATE when people say to me Oh my gosh Mary, how much more do you want to lose? Like losing it in the first place is a "bad thing"! I feel for you. Take it from someone who's been "hearing" this nonsense in the workplace for a few months, "DON'T LET THE NEGATIVE TALK DISCOURAGE YOU!" If you have more to lose and want to keep going, you do it!!!! You are doing this for yourself, not those around you!!! And most of all, be proud of your accomplishments!!!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had lost 50 lbs years ago. My father said to my mom in front of me " I think Jennifer is sick like her sister". (my sister is anorexic/bulimic). I weighed 140 lbs. I think when people see you a certain weight and then they see how skinny you have become they do think you look sick.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I posted my pic on facebook after getting down to 169 from 248. I was told I was to thin and that I was taking this thing to far and maybe I was OCD. I thought WOW I didn't know the abreviation for dedication was OCD.

People hate change. I'm willing to bet there are more than a few people out there that keep certain friends around that make them feel better about themselves. I'm sure they were like "Wait, you're supposed to be the fat one. Who's gonna watch my purse while I dance, now!?!?!"

@ssholes.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can understand the eldery in the nursing home thinking that because that is what their generation thought - considering the times they grew up in....

But, as far as people today - tell them nicely the first time "I chose to get healthy for myself"... and if they keep pushing, this is what I told Jttaylor... tell them to go screw...

We probably had our fair share of negativity being heavy, Ill be DAMNED if I have to put up with people telling me 'youre too thin, too skinny" blah blah blah...

Salt n Pepa put it best: ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME issue I wear scrubs that are way too big and people always seem to have a snide comment about how I look in them.

the other thing i hear a lot of and dislike is "oh it must be nice to have to time to do all that i just don't " Or If I were your age OR didnt have kids OR or or could loose weight too..." People always feel the need to qualify weight loss like you were so lucky and they just aren't the truth is its not luck or having an easier life its about prioritizing and dedication.

Honestly you just have to be proud of yourself and ignore the negativity
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The wealthy used to be fat because they could afford the expensive cuts of meat. The wealthy also suffered from the lazy man's desease called Gout. It is ignorant and/or dated to equate wealth with girth these days. Fitness in the new rich.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME issue I wear scrubs that are way too big and people always seem to have a snide comment about how I look in them.

the other thing i hear a lot of and dislike is "oh it must be nice to have to time to do all that i just don't " Or If I were your age OR didnt have kids OR or or could loose weight too..." People always feel the need to qualify weight loss like you were so lucky and they just aren't the truth is its not luck or having an easier life its about prioritizing and dedication.

Honestly you just have to be proud of yourself and ignore the negativity

UGH SO TRUE - all I hear all the time is excuses, excuses, excuses (all intermixed with complaining about being overweight) - I just want to scream sometimes. We are all working really hard for this!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    UGH SO TRUE - all I hear all the time is excuses, excuses, excuses (all intermixed with complaining about being overweight) - I just want to scream sometimes. We are all working really hard for this!

You got that right...whenever I get those comments, I tell people that every pound..hell, every ounce...has been hard won and I worked my butt off for it! I'm not going to play it down to help them feel better about being lazy or for stuffing their faces all day....
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Here, scrubs for $20 or less, http://www.dinodirect.com/se-scrubs/currency-CAD.html

They are sold at Walmart and Sears too, also cheap.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    My whole family is southern and deep south southern at that. Seriously they think i am anorexic! (I am far far from it!) hahaha In their minds meat on your bones means you are healthy and eating well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!