Hey measurement liars!

Options
Discouraged because your weight and inches aren't changing while you are working so hard at it? Pour 12 oz into different 12 ounce containers of different shapes. Shape and weight can remain the same and be a totally different look. If you know your clothes fit different, then you know you have changed. It's success, keep it up! Because it's a circumference when you measure, not your shape. Shape can change, and be the same number on the tape!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Love this! :D
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ...Pour 12 oz into different 12 ounce containers of different shapes. Shape and weight can remain the same...

You pour it in a different shape glass but the shape remains the same?
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks I so needed this, I hate my scale!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    So true! It's a nice reminder that the scale tells only part of the story.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think I'm missing something. How could your shape change if your measurements don't?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    ...Pour 12 oz into different 12 ounce containers of different shapes. Shape and weight can remain the same...

You know what she means! lol
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You must be reading my mind. I just measured and NO CHANGE! I know my clothes are fitting different but just wanted to see it in numbers. To heck with you measurements! The scale is moving and I feel better!

Thanks Nat
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You must be reading my mind. I just measured and NO CHANGE! I know my clothes are fitting different but just wanted to see it in numbers. To heck with you measurements! The scale is moving and I feel better!

Thanks Nat

I actually really don't understand this. How do clothes fit better if you physically haven't gotten smaller? So confused. It's typically the other way around - the scale isn't moving, but your clothes are fitting better. Did I miss something?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Thanks Nat

I actually really don't understand this. How do clothes fit better if you physically haven't gotten smaller? So confused. It's typically the other way around - the scale isn't moving, but your clothes are fitting better. Did I miss something?

Muscle replacing fat as a lot to do with it. Same weight, same size, but your belly is harder, less squishier....you feel better about yourself...there's some definition starting to show....but the scale isn't moving and you're not any "smaller."
  • mandasimba
    Options

You know what she means! lol

Actually I have no idea what she means, hence why I asked. It makes no sense.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Well no, I think you know what I meant. Just because the measurement is the same, your shape may have indeed changed. I was trying to spill this out before work. I thought it was a good example for those who are discouraged with hard work, and seemingly no progress. You are making progress, even if the measurement and weight on scale says the same thing as before. Your shape can change: a circumference can still be 36 (random number) and be many different shapes. You might be tightening up with your toning even if the inches are not going down.

• mandasimba
    Options
    Well no, I think you know what I meant. Just because the measurement is the same, your shape may have indeed changed. I was trying to spill this out before work. I thought it was a good example for those who are discouraged with hard work, and seemingly no progress. You are making progress, even if the measurement and weight on scale says the same thing as before. Your shape can change: a circumference can still be 36 (random number) and be many different shapes.

Well no, I really had no idea and was asking for clarification. Thank you for explaining after rudely assuming I was lying.
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
    Oh well. How's this? If your clothes are starting to sag, but your measurement still doesn't say you are smaller, you can still have gotten tighter and more toned: so score one for you!

If score one for you is confusing: I mean "you are making progress" even if the measurement and scale says you aren't.
  • Pinacleo
    Options
    SO love this!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nat - I got it and it helped my perspective and yes, clothes that I bought 3 months ago fit differently. Maybe everyone isn't supposed to "get" everything.
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
    If I was Trying to be rude I wouldn't have been trying to post encouraging words. Then after a brutally tireing work evening, trying to clarify it. It's an encouraging website. Not a place to pick fights out of semantics. I can't explain it any better. So I guess this post didn't help you, so you need to go read other peoples encouraging posts instead.
    Well no, I think you know what I meant. Just because the measurement is the same, your shape may have indeed changed. I was trying to spill this out before work. I thought it was a good example for those who are discouraged with hard work, and seemingly no progress. You are making progress, even if the measurement and weight on scale says the same thing as before. Your shape can change: a circumference can still be 36 (random number) and be many different shapes.

Well no, I really had no idea and was asking for clarification. Thank you for explaining after rudely assuming I was lying.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Made total sense to me... motivation is Nammy's specialty! Do it, Nammy!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think I'm missing something. How could your shape change if your measurements don't?
    thats what i was just thinking??? my shape is changing...but so are my measurements, some are going down faster than others, so my ratios are different... sorry, i dont mean to sound ignorant, but i guess i am because i dont get it???
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    "Pour 12 oz into different 12 ounce containers of different shapes. Shape and weight can remain the same and be a totally different look."

Yeah, but only if you add a 90 degree angle to it ..lol.. and people's bodies do NOT tend to do so.

You also said 12 ounce container OF DIFFERENT shapes ..and then.. shape and weight can REMAIN THE SAME :huh:

Exactly how is this physically possible?

If my 36 (random) inch waist has gone from flabby to hard ..that's a HUGE change and anyone (including Stevie Wonder should notice it) lol
  • hippotx72
    Options

If score one for you is confusing: I mean "you are making progress" even if the measurement and scale says you aren't.

That was unnecessarily condescending. Even if your initial post was well-intentioned, your attitude defeats the whole purpose. If you're too tired after work to offer an explanation when someone asks for clarification, then maybe you should log on when you're in a better state of mind.