Favorite cookbooks/websites/etc?

Options
CMmrsfloyd
CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
I've found some wonderful recipes here on MFP and a couple of months ago I bought some used cookbooks that I've been having a little fun with. I got 2 editions of the Biggest Loser cookbooks and one huge one '1000 Low Fat Recipes'. I'm a very timid cook without a lot of skills, easily intimidated. LOL Like, you know when you're reading a recipe and see an ingredient and think 'WTH is that and where would it be in the store?' LOL Anyway, so far I've found a few things out of the Biggest Loser cookbooks that I really like or was able to tweak to my liking, and I've just now gone through most of the '1000 low fat recipes' book and I've dogeared a LOT of pages of things to try! Do you have any favorite cookbooks that are helping you along on your weightloss or maintenance journey? Or do you have favorite websites other than MFP that you draw from? I'm trying really hard to become a better cook - I used to only really know how to make pasta and meals that came out of a box or the freezer LOL, so I'd love to check out some favorite resources of other MFP peeps so I can add some more variety that both I and my DH can enjoy. :-)

Replies

• kidtechnical
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I really LOVE the BBC websites food section http://www.bbc.co.uk/food If I'm ever stuck for inspiration I head over there & drool a little. You can put in a recipe name or ingredient & all the recipes that come up are from BBC shows. It's my frist port of call.
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found a cookbook a couple of months ago at Target that's the Hungry Girl 300 under 300 cookbook. It has breakfast through dinner, 300 meals for under 300 calories. My favorite thing from that cookbook so far is the lasagna cupcakes! I love them! They sound gross, but I made them for my boyfriend and he loved them and couldn't believe they were actually pretty good for you. I would strongly suggest that cookbook.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love Cooking Light. Magazine, cookbook and wesite!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com <
    It is AWESOME and has me soo excited for the weekend and what I am going to cook next!
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I watch Food Network religiously and with that I've found that actually being able to see someone execute recipes has made my cooking 10 times better. You can see what an ingredient is and get familiar with what sort of things go well with it. I follow some food blogs as well like The Urban Eater, and Ezra Poundcake which always have great recipes. Don't be afraid to sub ingredients with ones you like or are more familiar with. Remember it's just food, have fun :)

Hungry Girl (Lisa Lillian I believe) as a show on cooking channel where she makes all sorts of things low cal. She has a series of books by the same name.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Joy of Cooking is a great book of recipes that just gives you what you need, I'm still watching for an older copy as the one I have currently is big on microwave cooking but I retired the microwave 6 months ago and don't miss it. Plus the older copy gives more ...simple recipes, common ingredients I suppose.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Cool, I just picked up a Cooking Light magazine the other day, thinking of getting a subscription. Might hit up Target to look for the Hungry Girl 300 under 300 cookbook - I've heard of the website but I like having a book I can thumb through when I'm bored and not in front of a computer. I love my '1000 lowfat recipes' book, many of the recipes are low cal as well as low fat, but not all of them - I have kind of 'vetoed' quite a few of the recipes that are just not in a range I'm comfortable with right now. LOL So the Hungry Girl book would be great b/c I wouldn't have to 'veto' anything. LOL And Skinnytaste! I've seen that mentioned before but forgot about it. Thanks! I'll check out the Food Network too - I never liked watching cooking shows before b/c I didn't care for cooking, but now it's getting much more interesting so it might be a nice push for me!
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I love the Cook This, Not That recipe books. The whole family enjoys the recipes, and everything I have cooked from them has been easy enough to follow. I also like to use the Taste Of Home website. They have some great recipes, and give all the nutritional info. I get daily emails from them, so I get to see new recipes, everyday, yum!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I love the Cook This, Not That recipe books. The whole family enjoys the recipes, and everything I have cooked from them has been easy enough to follow. I also like to use the Taste Of Home website. They have some great recipes, and give all the nutritional info. I get daily emails from them, so I get to see new recipes, everyday, yum!

Ooooh, I've heard of the 'eat this not that' books, even bought one for a friend when she started losing weight, I need to check out some of those books for *me* now! LOL I didn't know they did a cooking version too, that's awesome!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    www.calorieking.com

I dont depend on MFP's database because its unreliable for one, and two, I dont have time to search through the multiple listings to find the one-exact that I had... as I use calorie.king, I build my own food-database to use...
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump.

I like cookinglight.com but I also have a friend with a blog that gives me good ideas sometimes:

marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    not sure if this was said yet but
    hungrygirl.com
    skinnytaste.com
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating Magazine
    and
    Foodgawker.com.

Food gawker has introduced me to many many amazing different blogs and tons of recipes. I can make any recipe healthier and fit my lifestyle so I don't stick to just sites and recipes labeled "healthy".
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com <
    It is AWESOME and has me soo excited for the weekend and what I am going to cook next!

DITTO!! Gina from skinny taste has great recipes!! some require a bit of work, but well worth it! try some out on weekend :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just found skinnytaste.com and I love it. I also like Cooking Light magazine and all of the Eating Well cookbooks. I love allrecipes.com too---I just search for healthier versions of things on there.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love skinnytaste.com. Just ordered "Cook This, Not That" too.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i love "clean eating" magazine. i watch food network alot and am able to adjust many recipes (ok, maybe not paula deen's!). not crazy about "hungry girl"....i think she uses too many processed, not real foods
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Cooking Light magazine and website, Real Simple magazine and website, Real Age website. I also have How to Cook Everything Vegetarian cookbook, which is great, and I also want the Cooking Light Way to Cook Vegetarian cookbook - my friend has made a few things out of there that were AWESOME. (Note: I'm not truly a vegetarian, but I have Crohn's Disease, which limits my ability to eat red meat and pork, so I make a lot of vegetarian dishes, or sometimes throw in chicken or fish.)

There's also the Cook Yourself Thin book and website, which have some great lower calorie takes on traditional foods - we really like the chicken fingers recipe from there (covered in crushed cornflakes and baked - same taste as fried chicken fingers, half the calories!)
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com <

I second this one! Made alot from there and everything I have tried is great! So great that my hubby, dad and their co workers can't believe (the cupcake and brownie) recipes are healthy! :) laloosh.com and skinnybits.com are good as well!
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com <

I totally came on here to write that!