Readjusting my calorie intake..HELP PLEASE!!!

Options
Today I’ve been messaging with a friend here on MFP and she has pointed out that I’m not eating enough calories and that I’m putting my body into starvation mode.. This is NOT what I want to do…

I like to work out and get in a good sweat but doing so depletes my calorie intake for the day leaving my net super low… My calorie goal as of right now is 1370.. I’m thinking of upping it to 1900, that way if I aim to burn 700 calories I’ll still net 1200… Then on the days that I don't plan on working out or not as hard I could aim to eat between 1200 - 1300 adjusting accordingly so that I net atleast 1200...

Does this make sense? Will I still lose weight? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You need to net 1200.

Example:

eat 1200
    burn 300
    net: 900

so eat 300 more.

1200 is the least your body needs.
  • jennajava
    Options
    don't up your calorie goal. if you're logging your calories burnt, then your log will tell you how much more to eat. leave your goal at 1200. just log your exercises.
  • jennajava
    Options
    ok. look here:

Untitled.png

My goal is 1200 a day. However, it automatically upped my goal for me, according to what I'd burnt, so I would net 1200. Now, the amount I still need to eat is green. If it's red, I've eaten too much. Does this help?
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    i suggest upping 200 or 300 at a time for a few days and see how that works. i was doing 1200 a day for weeks and the scale didn't budge. then i changed to 1400....nothing.....then i went to 1600 and lost 2 pounds.....so i am good here until i have to change again. or you could zig zag, that works too
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    don't up your calorie goal. if you're logging your calories burnt, then your log will tell you how much more to eat. leave your goal at 1200. just log your exercises.

depends on how much you have to lose what your net should be. not everyone is the same. if you have <10 to lose, you need to up your net to make your goal 1 pound a week instead of two.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You need to net 1200.

Example:

eat 1200
    burn 300
    net: 900

so eat 300 more.

1200 is the least your body needs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :smile:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I upped my goal from 1200 to 1500, I haven't gained at all. I work out so intensely that if I don't eat a net of at least 1500 my body isn't fueled enough to work out again the next day.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!

My calorie intake is set at 1370 so maybe I'll keep it that and try harder to eat my excersie calories so that my net is at least 1200-1300.. A remaining of no more than 100...
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I used to have a goal of 1200, loving life much better at 1340 and losing weight faster too. I try to eat most of my workout calories, but I don't always because it's a lot! Also, I don't use a HRM so I feel good with a few calories under as a cushion.

With a goal like ours, we don't have to be *quite* as careful to eat back alllll our calories since our goal is already above 1200.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I believe listen to your body.. it will tell you when to eat