Ten week set back, gained 15 lbs

Options
Everything was going great for me. Didnt miss going to the gym for almost four months. Was down 64 lbs. Then I developed a terribly painful cyst (it was also pretty disgusting...I wont trouble you with the details). As it worsened, surgery became necessary. And in the weeks leading up to going under the knife, the pain and icky side effects gave me an excuse to not go to the gym. Ten days after my surgery, I was set to start a new job 2,300 miles away from where I was living at the time. So I had to pack, empty out my house to sell and drive cross country. I probably didnt give my body enough time to recover from the surgery and was in a rush. I ended up throwing out my back and wasnt able to stand for over a week. I walked with a terrible limp for a couple more weeks. Going to the gym was impossible and even small things like walking on the beach (I am now in San Diego) or riding a bike caused tremendous pain. If you have a back injury, any small change in momentum shoots a bolt of pain through your entire body. Trying to walk on sand is almost impossible because you can never find a sure footing. Anytime I would step in sand and slide slightly, I almost would hit my knees in pain.

I am by no means totally healthy. I still have a touch of sciatic pain (numbness from the hip to the ankle) caused by the back injury. But this morning, I went to the gym for the first time in a long time and got back to having a healthy breakfast. Being new to San Diego, I have spent the last month feasting on foods we dont have in the midwest, so I wasnt shocked this morning when I got on the scales and saw how much weight I had gained. I was afraid I would be in pain all day because I walked on the treadmill and used the elliptical machine, but my back feels better now than it has in over a month. Everything I read about sciatic pain says you have to embrace the pain and work it out with stretches and exercises, even though your natural instinct is to avoid it by staying off your feet. The 20 minutes I spent on the treadmill this morning were HELL, but it really seems to have done the trick.

Today is day 1. My goal tomorrow is to do a little bit more. And do the same the next day and the next day.

Crawl. Walk. Run.

Replies

• CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    awesome job getting back on track and not being too hard on yourself! sounds like you have a great attitude :smile:
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One day at time - win the day! No luck needed.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Good job getting back on track! Good luck!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the horrible weeks you have experienced but welcome back. You are right: take baby steps. You will get stronger as you do more. Set small goals for yourself, so it doesn't seem overbearing. Nice job on the 20 mins you did on the treadmill despite the pain. Proud of you for getting back on the horse instead of running from it.
  • cherfurr
    Options
    I can certainly understand. I broke my shoulder 3 months ago and the pain was amazing. As of last friday I was told that the bone had fused and I can step up phyical therapy. During the 3 months I gained 12lbs. Yesterday was my first day back and I tried to get back to the workouts I used to do. It was disappointing as my arm still can't tolerate much weigh. But I have to start somewhere. Let's take it one day at a time and I am sure we can both get rid of that extra weight we picked up!
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    Glad you are back! The back is always an issue with me also, as I have a blown disc in L-5, with a tear near the spine. I can relate to the pain 100%! But I water jog and when mine acts up, I just make sure I keep water jogging, because the water helps wonderfully!
    Keep kickin it!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming back in spite of all of those huge life changes!! That's a lot of stuff to deal with all at once. While we'd all like to be superman/woman and not let ANYTHING get in the way of taking care of ourselves the way we know we should, sometimes life really does get in the way. We're proud of you! And you were always moving forward, you just slowed down a bit ;)