Sliiy Question.... or maybe not.

Options
Do you have to eat all the calories that are added back in when you workout? Just a bit confused on this. Thank you.

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    No if you are trying to lose weight you should not eat back the calories that were added from exercise.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I personally don't. I've read tons on this, some people swear by it, some say don't do it. I don't stress if I go over my goal if I have extra exercise calories, but I don't "try" to eat them all back.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Personally I don't because my diet is strictly enforcing a calorie deficit because I am looking to lose weight. If you're looking to maintain weight then I suggest you do eat them!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Not all of them, but if it is a big burn, I eat some of them back. Play around with what works best for you. The more weight you have to lose, the larger deficiet you can have.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP gives you a deficit to meet your weight loss goal before lifting a finger in exercise. Exercising widens that deficit, it's designed so that we do eat back our exercise calories here.
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't personally. Well, not all of them anyway.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I Eat them back!!
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    Everyone is different, honestly you just have to try it out and see what works for you. I eat about 1/2 of mine back.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything. If you are sure of the calories burned and you eat them you should still lose at the rate you entered. So if you are hungry, eat them. I never think it's a good idea to eat when not hungry.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    There are a million posts about this and a million heated debates.

It all really just depends on what u feel is right for you.
  • TazzyDB
    TazzyDB Posts: 224
    Options
    I try not to eat the calories back BUT if I have a day where I go over my normal calories, I know the workout helped balance it out! Don't stress about it but try to keep under your calories without the extra you burned off.

Good luck! and stay strong!

:flowerforyou:
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a deficit to meet your weight loss goal before lifting a finger in exercise. Exercising widens that deficit, it's designed so that we do eat back our exercise calories here.
    I agree. You should look at all the posts that have been made about this.lot of debate!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different take. You are supposed to. For some it works, for other they do half, and others don't at all. I find that lots of folks shake up a plateau by doing one or the other. i have done both, and eating them broke a plateau.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    No if you are trying to lose weight you should not eat back the calories that were added from exercise.

The basis of weight loss is calorie deficit. MFP has a healthy deficit built into the program for you. You can choose to eat back your exercise calories if you want to avoid creating a deficit that is too large. Some people need to eat them back because their body does not respond well to a large deficit.

It's important not to make blanket statements like this. Everyone is different.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    So what is the sliiy question?
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I agree. You should look at all the posts that have been made about this.lot of debate!

Agreed
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The basis of weight loss is calorie deficit. MFP has a healthy deficit built into the program for you. You can choose to eat back your exercise calories if you want to avoid creating a deficit that is too large. Some people need to eat them back because their body does not respond well to a large deficit.

It's important not to make blanket statements like this. Everyone is different.
    [/quote]

Good advice Jorra. I am one of those people who cannot lose weight on a large deficit. Some people can lose either way, but if you CAN eat more calories AND lose weight, this helps you maintain in the log run. Whatever you choose, it is going to have to be for the rest of your life. Make sure to make good eating habits you can sustain in order to not gain back and cancel your hard work.