What do you give your child for lunch to school?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday night I roast a huge batch of drumsticks, and wrap them 2-together in foil, and pile them up in the fridge. For lunch, each kid gets a 2-drumstick foil package, a yogurt, an apple, a small ziploc with pretzels, and a bottle of water. They love it. :)
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Primal kid lunches. :)

A low-carb wrap with ham and cheese
    carrots or celery with peanut butter
    Roarin' water drink
    mixed nuts, or trail mix or dried fruit
    cheese
    fresh fruit
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I got my daughter a really good thermos, and I give her lo-cal soups. She loves them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    My daughter is systematic in her eating so I usually pack either a natural peanut butter and sugar free jam sandwich on wheat or shaved turkey with light mayo, a mozarella stick, 2 honey graham crackers and either apple juice or fruit punch.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My older son has OCD and ADHD so he gets a bit stuck on what he eats for awhile.

Currently his lunches are as follows:

Peanut butter sandwich - crunchy peanut butter only and cut in half
    Capri Sun Roaring Waters Tropical flavor or a small bottled water
    Fruit of some kind - usually a handful... strawberries, grapes or a small apple / banana
    Carrot sticks or pretzel sticks

From time to time, he will want a small bag of cheetos or cheezits and sometimes I throw in a fruit roll up or pudding cup.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Our big problem with kiddo's lunches is getting enough calories in her. She's a picky eater to start with, and would rather socialize than eat. We usually pack her something like the following:

Turkey, roast beef, or chicken cold cuts.
    A few wheat thins or other crackers.
    An apple or baby carrots.
    A Capri-sun Roarin' Water.

Most of the time, it comes back with some of the lunchmeat, a few bites of apple or carrots, and the drink gone. The rest does laps from the fridge to the lunchbox until it gets eaten or gets old.

We bought her a soft-sided insulated lunch box, and we tuck a refreezable ice pack in it so the food doesn't go off. Luckily, her elementary school has a great "snack time" policy, where the kids get to have a snack in the classroom. For those, we usually send her with a Z-bar (they're like Cliffs Bars, but for kids), so she gets some good and reasonably healthy calories from that as well.

I wish she'd eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but she doesn't like them.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My kids pick one thing from each category

Main Meal: turkey & cheese sandwich/rollup, P, B , & J, hummus & crackers, pasta
    Dairy: yogurt, string cheese, cheese slices
    Fruit: banana, apple, fruit cup, applesauce, veggies & dip
    Treat: graham crackers, rice krispie treat, fruit leather, cookie

I find if I take the time to cut up the fruits and put them in a plastic container, they are more apt to be brought back home instead of thrown in the garbage at school.