Remedy for Sore Muscles?

Options
I finished my first personal training session yesterday. It was hard, a lot of effort, and really fun. Today, I am SORE. Mostly in my upper body. Specifically my shoulders and chest. He had me do 3 different kinds of push-ups, and I can say those were the first push-ups I have done in about 10 years...

Anyways... what are some of the best ways to help sore muscles that you have found?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    a day of rest. That is totally normal.
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    P90x Recovery Formula =)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Anti-inflammatory like Tylenol or work out again. It loosens them up and helps them heal faster.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and keep moving.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A nice warm bath or shower. Rest for sure. But it's definitely normal to feel that way. But if you feel something other than a soreness, like a sharp pain, you might wanna bring that up to your trainer.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    all good advice. Optimum Nutrition also makes a recovery drink, 2:1:1. I've had it and seems to help.

Lots of water.

Espom salts in a hot bath

drink lots of water

advil

stretching after some light exercise (a walk or something....gets blood going and decreases lactic acid..."I think")

L-Glutamine is supposed to help too.

no expert...just what I have heard/done before.
  • stargazerjana
    stargazerjana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Rest, and if you can stand the smell... IcyHot!!!:smile:
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    And also a glass of Cherry juice after a workout.
  • janinebbbbb
    Options
    Let your trainer know...maybe it was too much to soon?
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer to get right back in and work through the soreness. If I'm really in "pain" then I'll take a day off. I feel like I get stronger when I'm done! : )
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    BioFreeze is great, or if you can't find it, it's also called Performance and they sell it at Walgreen's/CVS/WalMart.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try drinking a glass of water directly after the workout, and take in a lot more vitamin c.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    BCAA's by Scivation
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If it's really bad (like when I do squats and I literally cannot walk/sit/stand up without being in pain), I take a few ibuprofen. The best thing I've found is GET BACK IN THE GYM. Work those muscles again! Recover, yes, but not for 5 days. I've found that working those muscles again (along side another major muscle group workout like legs) is a great way to speed up the recovery and work out the soreness. Good for you for working so hard! :)

Also, I have heard about people taking maybe one or two regular ibuprofen BEFORE a workout... however, that should be done very thoughtfully as you could push yourself too hard and sustain an injury that you might not otherwise sustain if you can "feel" everything. Taking one helps me when I do big workouts like lower body, but I use it VERY judiciously.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    A hot bath with Epsom salts (they have lavender scented ones if you want a relaxing smell).
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Stretching, ibuprofen and keep working out.
  • LBlake12
    Options
    Lots of water, and especially stretching (long, slow stretches). Rest is important, too. Be sure you're stretching after your warm-up and most importantly at the end of your workout, too. Stretching is so under-rated.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Magnesium supplements seem to help (before bed) and protein. I swear by protein shakes before bed, help me wake-up ready for another workout!
  • TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. I'm gonna go re-fill my water bottle now. ;)
  • brandyk2011
    Options
    I had a trainer for a year and a half and he was hardcore, I was always sore, but it got better the more I worked out. Lots or stretching, ice, icy hot, Motrin, L-Glutamine and rest days helped me. Also the first week or two I was sore almost every day with him, but as time went on my recovery time was less and less, so it gets better. :)