Upright vs Recumbent

Options
I am looking to get an exercise bike to add to my gym. I have always liked and used the upright bike. More and more now, I see recumbent bikes for sale everywhere, and very little uprights. Is there a better benefit of using recumbents? It doesn't quite feel natural to me, but I am curious to know if anyone out there has a preference and why..?? thanks!

Replies

• lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    schwinn airdyne is my favorite, total body workout :)
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've used both a lot and owned a recumbent. I feel lazy on recumbents and don't feel like I'm every pushing myself when I'm riding one. On the uprights I feel more like I'm a part of the action and tend to push myself harder. But depending on where it's going in your house the upright can stick out like a sore thumb whereas the recumbent blends in a little easier. That being said, I stopped using my recumbent for these reasons and sold it a few months later.
  • brandyk2011
    Options
    I have used both and for different reasons, mainly when I was recovering from a knee injury. I find the recumbent bike comfortable but I did not get a good workout at all. The uprights are not as comfortable for me but I did get a much better workout when using those. :)