Cant Meet my minimum :(

Hi folks.

Well... ive been on here a while now and at first i found it a struggle to cut my Kcals down to what it was saying 1500.

at first i cheated a little and didnt add on my drinks and "guesstimated" my foods but after a few months i changed my diet and lifestyle and started getting my target amount.

Now i have a problem. I never add any exercises as i do a physical job and walk about 10 miles per day within my work so when i am training i mainly concentrate on weights to tone up.

So i DONT add exercise to my diary and i add every single scrap of food & drink and even round them up. Yet most days, 5 out of 7, i cant meet my Minimum of 1200kcals.

The days i do meet my target its because i have had fast food take away....

I do eat until im full and drink loads throughout the day!

Any advice?!?!

Replies

• thewingnut13
    thewingnut13 Posts: 50 Member
    I am kind of in the same boat. I do exercise almost everyday and add it though. I have a hard time reaching 1200 cal a day and im full by the end of the day. I actually feel like im eating more now than ever but the difference is that i was drinking up to a case of pop a day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I am kind of in the same boat. I do exercise almost everyday and add it though. I have a hard time reaching 1200 cal a day and im full by the end of the day. I actually feel like im eating more now than ever but the difference is that i was drinking up to a case of pop a day.

are you being serious? that 1) you're a 220lb man eating 1200 cals and 2) you're having trouble eating 1200 cals?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    anyways...

calorically dense foods

nuts
    nut butters
    avocados
    full fat dairy
    pasta
    ice cream
    etc
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    tonie13,

hi, to keep the metabolisim up, do not lower your calorie intake. You have to tell your body to shed fat, and if you start restricting calories the body will think you are starving it and want to hang on to the uncessary body fat. Instead, lift heavy weights twice a week, up your fats and proteins, lower your carbs. That will increase your metabolisim and your body will react by releasing the growth and fat burning hormones. Best wishes, happy training!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    If you aren't losing weight/gaining muscle, I suspect that 1 or more of 3 things are going on. 1) you aren't eating ENOUGH calories 2) you aren't getting enough good quality recovery time 3) you are either under-estimating how much you eat ore over estimating how much you burn during daily activity.

There are multiple resolutions: 1) MFP lets you choose a daily activty level and it will auto calculate the correct calories for you 2) buy a digital scale and measure your food until you get good at eyeballing it. 3) add in your strength training to ensure calorie needs are accounted for, I've found that setting it for the amount of time under cardio as strength training seems to work. 4) if you are doing a boatload of low weght isolation type reps, then you are probably catabolizing muscle, especially if you ae in a calorie deficiet. Check into stronglifts 5x5 and as long as you are healthy enough to lift heavy it will greatly benefit you. Also make certain you are gettng enough protien and eat back your calories. Also make certain you are getting enough Vitamin D.

Hope this helps