Looking for good strength training dvd recommendations

Options
Hi everyone,

So my Zumba teacher said I could definitely be rocking my body *IF* I added some good core and strength training to my zumba workouts. I'm stuck at 21 lbs now for two weeks. It's frustrating as heck and I know I could be killing some good calories.

So here's my goal --- give me some video ideas for DVD's YOU personally do and like. I already have 30 Day Shred and I'm not a big fan. I also have the Cardio and Body Sculpt for Biggest Loser. So tell me:

1. DVD title and author or person running the show (ie. Denise Austin, etc).

2. Why do YOU like it?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I don't have NetFlix and don't have ExerciseTV - - stupid DirectTV doesn't carry it. Someone did suggest trying Hulu and plugging into my tv. Great idea! Thanks in advance!

Angie

Replies

• mrsfoose
    Options
    Strong Body, ageless body by Erin O'Brian. It's crazy and it hurts when you first start but it works.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    True strength training isn't really a DVD sort of thing.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Well, some of us can't afford gyms and fancy trainers so I do what I can.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Jillian Michaels which is kind of easy, I don't think you'll like my recommendations.
    P90X or Insanity
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Squats, deads, power cleans to an overhead press, bench press.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Then go to bodybuilding.com and look up a beginner's workout there. It's free and has videos to show you how to perform the exercises.
  • taso42
    Options

Pushups
    Lift weights (or cans of beans or gallons of water)
    Keep an eye on craigslist for used weights around 50 cents/lb
    Resistance bands
    Stuff like that
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm probably mistaken but isn't your zumba class at a gym? I can't be a dvd since the teacher talked to you.
  • catlady100
    Options
    Kelley Coffey-Meyer (split sessions)
    Gin Miller (seriously strong)

Kelley also has a lot of other dvds. Go to collagevideo. and search for them and look at clips and user reviews

If u want low weight/ hi reps, a lot of people like Jari Love
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Pushups
    Lift weights (or cans of beans or gallons of water)
    Keep an eye on craigslist for used weights around 50 cents/lb
    Resistance bands
    Stuff like that

Again with all the fanciness! Not all of us can afford our own bodyweight or free internet videos!

hmph!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Strong Body, ageless body by Erin O'Brian. It's crazy and it hurts when you first start but it works.

I really like Erin O'Brien too. She has a couple of strength training DVDs. Strong Body Ageless Body & Strong Body Fit Body. There's a circuit workout with Kristie Yamaguchi too.

I have Strong Body Ageless Body. I like this one because it is so adaptable. You do upper body .... then lower body, and keep switching. This keeps my heart rate up pretty good. The time flies. The last 15 minutes are ab work & stretching. Several modifications are shown ... so you can pick the easier or harder version depending upon how you feel.

Collagevideo.com has video clips & reviews.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think their point is that you can do a lot with your own body weight, or with milk jugs filled with water/sand, or with canned goods. I don't have a gym membership either, but I just put together a good session using nerdfitness.com. There are a lot of resources out there to help you out so that you can exercise without a gym or personal trainer (neither of which I have either).

I started with JM 30DS, but I liked the session I came up with on my own better. It felt more real.

Also try checking your local library to see what they have and just try it out. If you don't like it, who cares, you didn't spend any money on it, and you can return it and try something else instead.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Seriously? I'm confused. If Cathe STS DVDs aren't strength training what are they?

Not all DVDs are 2 pound pink dumbbells.
  • taso42
    Options

Seriously? I'm confused. If Cathe STS DVDs aren't strength training what are they?

Do those DVD's demonstrate proper form, then tell you to click pause and do some weight lifting? If so then it's potentially on the right track.

When I think workout DVD I think of aerobics.

Strength training is more something you learn and then apply yourself, at your own pace. A strength training DVD seems almost as weird to me as a "diet dvd", that shows a person on the screen sitting before a plate of chicken and brocolli.. and they say, "now take out that trusty knife and fork! ok stick the fork in the chicken! good! and breathe! now slice the chicken with the knife! if you can't do this properly yet, just try your best, you'll eventually get it! don't forget to breathe! ok, now lift up the fork and bring towards the mouth! alright! and chew! and chew! and chew!"
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Chalene Extreme - 45 min workouts circuit style (Chalene Johnson)
    P90X - 55 min workouts except yoga - circuit style (Tony Horton)

Both do strength days and cardio days, both great programs. You can use resistance bands, but I get better results with some dumbells and an in door pull up bar.

With good diet, pushing myself on workouts, high protein - results are excellent.

bodyrock.tv - you can watch free online, and add some bagged rice to an old back pack to create a weighted bag. Workouts from 12-20 min, HITT training (Zuzane)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am a frothing convert to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength stuff but his DVD demonstrating proper form of squats/deadlifts/press/power clean is on my puffy heart please-oh-please wish list.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Not true. You can get great strength training from dvds, like P0X, etc. I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and really like it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Well Cathe does rock. I personally met her in Pennsylvania at a gym (can't remember the name). We had a good conversation.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not true. You can get great strength training from dvds, like P0X, etc. I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and really like it.
    Well these are more CONDITIONING DVD's than actual strength training. Strength training consists of progressive resistance overload, which is not what these 2 DVD's cover.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    It's what you do vs whether or not it's on a dvd. If you need to learn how to squat, dead, bench, power clean etc..properly then a dvd would help.

It also depends what her definitiion of strength training is. For a beginner, she could use most anything around the house (as others have mentioned) For the advanced, yeah, you're going to need a squat rack, proper bench etc.. to handle the weights.

Some heavy bands would probably work well at this stage.