Anyone frying a turkey this year?

Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
We usually do.

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    We usually do also. I imagine we will this year. and now I can't wait for Thanksgiving.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    so good

enjoy and indulge, once a year will not kill you!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    I h ve never even heard of anyone frying a turkey, Do you literally mean shoving a whole turkey in a fryer?

I'd go with the pp, Christmas/thanksgiving is pretty much all about the food for us adults, enjoy the day. One day wont hurt.
  • ladyj802
    ladyj802 Posts: 8 Member
    We usually do, but last year i tried something new (being healthier and all),Infrared Cooking- it is called the Big Easy by Char Broil. It's an infrared fryer - NO OIL!! it's awesome - we injected our bird (which if you notice the injection sauce is VERY LOW CALORIE - then lower it in, turn it on, and poof - in about 30-45 minutes or so you have a turkey that looks and tastes like it was fried. Try it out!
  • Jeff92se
    I h ve never even heard of anyone frying a turkey, Do you literally mean shoving a whole turkey in a fryer?

I'd go with the pp, Christmas/thanksgiving is pretty much all about the food for us adults, enjoy the day. One day wont hurt.

Yup. Prep the turkey the day before and put it into a hot vat of oil. Done in about 30-40 min vs 4-5 hours.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member

Yup. Prep the turkey the day before and put it into a hot vat of oil. Done in about 30-40 min vs 4-5 hours.
    Yes, and it is SO good! They have big ol' turkey fryers out at the supermarket right around Thanksgiving, at least around here they do.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    I'm in the UK so we don't have thanksgiving, but we do have turkey's at Christmas. I can imagine that it is yummy and that is a big difference in cooking times too. that must save loads of time.
  • Jeff92se
    There's alot less chance at a dry turkey. We gather round the fryer smoking cigars and drink gin/whisky etc...

It's halarious to see family members smoking a cigar.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    I don't eat meat, but my parents do. One of the neighbors made fried turkey for Thanksgiving last year and shared it with them. They said they liked it and would try to make their own this year. ;-; I really do not want they frying a whole turkey. They'll burn the house down.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    ]
  • Jeff92se
    I don't eat meat, but my parents do. One of the neighbors made fried turkey for Thanksgiving last year and shared it with them. They said they liked it and would try to make their own this year. ;-; I really do not want they frying a whole turkey. They'll burn the house down.

Some people fry 2-3 turkeys as it's convenient to have one do multiple. Ask the neighbors if they would be willing to do two. Your parents can share some other food as an exchange.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    It is amazing!! I always say we get our turkey drunk first by injecting it with Jack Daniels and using Cajun Seasoning all over it. I also put white wine in it too. That poor turkey didn't know he was gonna have a party after his death! Yum, everyone raves over it. And yes, you dunk the big ole turkey straight into the oil. we use peanut oil, it doesn't burn.

But do be very careful when lowering it into the oil, there have been many fires with people frying turkeys that were inexperienced.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    We smoke ours on a Weber grill. It takes awhile, but it is soooo juicy and good...and no oil!
  • Jeff92se
    You can actually give away the oil after to the bio-diesel guys.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    I'm in the UK so we don't have thanksgiving, but we do have turkey's at Christmas. I can imagine that it is yummy and that is a big difference in cooking times too. that must save loads of time.

And plenty of people who can't read instructions burn their houses down. It's like survival of the brightest, only with hot fat.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Some people fry 2-3 turkeys as it's convenient to have one do multiple. Ask the neighbors if they would be willing to do two. Your parents can share some other food as an exchange.

Oh. They moved. >_> Our new neighbors are from Jamaican and share their food with us, too.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Mmm,....We have Thanksgiving at my brother's and he always fries the turkey. It's amazing! His neighbors all bring their turkeys over and he fries them too.
  • We usually fry a couple turkeys! Love them. But I haven't heard about the infrared thing. What is the cost? It can get expensive frying turkeys. It might be worth the cost to switch and maybe save on calories.
  • ladyj802
    My dad will let you borrow his Big Easy Infrared one to try out first.
  • ladyj802
    We usually fry a couple turkeys! Love them. But I haven't heard about the infrared thing. What is the cost? It can get expensive frying turkeys. It might be worth the cost to switch and maybe save on calories.

My dad will let you borrow his Big Easy Infrared one to try out first.
This discussion has been closed.