The Key To A Flat Belly- Abdominis Exercises

Options
Hate crunches?

Say no more! Truth is, they do little to banish belly fat anyway. For the fastest flattening, you need to target your deepest ab muscle--the transversus abdominis, also known as the TVA.

To read more on this topic please visit my blog at:

http://prunella-fitnessandhealthforlife.blogspot.com/2011/10/transversus-abdominis-tva-exercise-key.html

Thanks for Looking! :happy:

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction. :flowerforyou:
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump

Thx i need some extra moves the ab twist and back extensions outta be a new challenge
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen. Abs are built with resistance. You can have a flat tummy but not really have any abs showing if the muscles aren't developed. I hate the 'abs are made in the kitchen' saying... You need both a healthy, lean diet to trim the fat off and you need to work your abs with resistance exercises to build the muscles.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction.

True, but that's not the main point of the post, which is development of a specific muscle. You can't spot reduce but you can spot develop.
  • _Doreen_
    _Doreen_ Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen. Abs are built with resistance. You can have a flat tummy but not really have any abs showing if the muscles aren't developed. I hate the 'abs are made in the kitchen' saying... You need both a healthy, lean diet to trim the fat off and you need to work your abs with resistance exercises to build the muscles.

can you give some examples of resistance exercises to build ab muscles?
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No you are right, you can't spot reduce. As nehushtan states that is not the point of the post.

An excerpt from my blog states:

"Fat? Did you know that doing regular crunches is a terrible way to get rid of a protruding belly (in fact, it will make your belly slightly larger)? First of all, you can’t “spot reduce” fat (research the “spot reduction myth” if you’re interested). Second of all, there are two components to a “pot belly,” the fatty deposits on the belly, and the actual protrusion of the abdomen. The second component (abdominal protrusion) of a pot belly is due to the weakness of the transversus abdominis (“TVA”), sometimes called the “girdle muscle,” not to weakness of the rectus abdominis muscles (i.e. your “six-pack” or lack thereof). Strengthening the transversus abdominis will “suck in your gut.”"

This is the purpose of the blog :flowerforyou:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    True, but that's not the main point of the post, which is development of a specific muscle. You can't spot reduce but you can spot develop.

You are so right. No one can spot reduce, but they sure can spot tone. That's why there are so many workouts for different areas of the body.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This fitness plan zeroes in on the TVA and blasts the fat on top of it.

This part of your original post prompted my reply, and probably others as well. If you had simply said, "this is a great way to develop your ab muscles", then I wouldn't have said a thing ;)
  • AZackery
    Options
    I love Tae Bo. Tae Bo Insane Abs is one workout that I use to work my abs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEYmBB8OBE&feature=related
  • prunella1066
    Options
    This fitness plan zeroes in on the TVA and blasts the fat on top of it.

This part of your original post prompted my reply, and probably others as well. If you had simply said, "this is a great way to develop your ab muscles", then I wouldn't have said a thing ;)

Ah......you are so correct......I meant to take that out as I have some other exercises that incorporate cardio...oops!! :blushing:
  • prunella1066
    Options

What does "Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen" mean anyway? I've never heard that before
  • prunella1066
    Options
    I love Tae Bo. Tae Bo Insane Abs is one workout that I use to work my abs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEYmBB8OBE&feature=related

That's funny......I just bought Tae Bo......but haven't tried yet......looking forward to it! :)
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Well said.

I think when people say 'abs are made in the kitchen' they mean you have to eat right.

Love your blog. Great post. :)
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction.

Also well said.
  • prunella1066
    Options

Well said.

I think when people say 'abs are made in the kitchen' they mean you have to eat right.

Love your blog. Great post. :)

Thanks nyy03!! I was wondering if that is what it meant as I thought about it AFTER I already sent the post Ha!! LOL!!
  • AZackery
    Options
    That's funny......I just bought Tae Bo......but haven't tried yet......looking forward to it! :)

I hope you enjoy it.
  • Tsdennis
    Tsdennis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

What does "Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen" mean anyway? I've never heard that before

Basically it means you are what you eat. You can do crunches like crazy (which will develop the muscles) but you won't see the results unless you reduce your overall body fat percentage, and since body fat percentage reduction is 80% diet and 20% exercise abs are made in the kitchen.
  • prunella1066
    Options

Basically it means you are what you eat. You can do crunches like crazy (which will develop the muscles) but you won't see the results unless you reduce your overall body fat percentage, and since body fat percentage reduction is 80% diet and 20% exercise abs are made in the kitchen.

This is very true!! :)