Has anyone tried the subway diet or what do you think of it?

Options
13»

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think if you are use to being on the run and eating fast food then Subway is the way to go...but if you just want to do the diet...id buy my own sandwich stuff and make them from home! Most of what ive heard from peoples replies is the bread is high in sodium....If you make it from home you can choose a low sodium bread andd deli meat! basically all the subway diet is..is sandwiches all the time ....but its gonna cost you a grip in the long run and not gonna be all that healthy just a way to cut back

I agree, regular deli meat from the grocery store is lower in sodium. The reason Subway meat has so much sodium is preserving the meat in the packaging it comes in before it is put at the counter... I know this because I worked for a Subway for 20 months years ago. We got food deliveries and would get boxes of the sliced meat which were sealed in vaccum sealed plastic packages. This was for ALL the meats. The healthiest meat there is actually the grilled chicken breast or chicken breast chunks used. Also, build a salad NOT a sandwich.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Subway may put a "healthy" label on their food, but it's just as toxic as any other fast food.
  • ImNotStarving
    Options
    If you're going to live on any restaurant's food, I suppose Subway is better than Burger King or McDonald's, but why not just prepare your own healthy meals at home? It would be a lot cheaper than living on Subway. You could go on a "diet" and eat solely at almost any restaurant if you chose from only certain foods (which you would also have to do at Subway), but that sounds really boring and pointless, in my opinion :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think if you are use to being on the run and eating fast food then Subway is the way to go...but if you just want to do the diet...id buy my own sandwich stuff and make them from home! Most of what ive heard from peoples replies is the bread is high in sodium....If you make it from home you can choose a low sodium bread andd deli meat! basically all the subway diet is..is sandwiches all the time ....but its gonna cost you a grip in the long run and not gonna be all that healthy just a way to cut back

I agree, regular deli meat from the grocery store is lower in sodium. The reason Subway meat has so much sodium is preserving the meat in the packaging it comes in before it is put at the counter... I know this because I worked for a Subway for 20 months years ago. We got food deliveries and would get boxes of the sliced meat which were sealed in vaccum sealed plastic packages. This was for ALL the meats. The healthiest meat there is actually the grilled chicken breast or chicken breast chunks used. Also, build a salad NOT a sandwich.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think deli meats at grocery stores are delivered packaged in? They're vacuum sealed and shrink wrapped in the factory. The only difference between deli meat at Subway, and deli meat in your supermarket is the deli meat at Subway is sliced before packaging. The cure is the same.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, what do you think deli meats at grocery stores are delivered packaged in? They're vacuum sealed and shrink wrapped in the factory. The only difference between deli meat at Subway, and deli meat in your supermarket is the deli meat at Subway is sliced before packaging. The cure is the same.

Not necessarily. Deli meat at a grocery store is better quality, the meat used by Subway is lower grade. They also don't use the same brands. Subway has it's own brand.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You will be hitting over 3000mg of sodium daily which can cause high blood pressure plus weight gain (water weight). At the absolute longest, don't do this diet for more than 4 weeks IMO.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's a good fast food choice.

I eat their $5 foot longs all the time. footlong turkey is about 560 calories.

Salads are only 130 calories but meh.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Mix it up! Do the Taco Bell Drive Thru Diet, the McDonald's Diet, The Chic Fil-A Diet...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It wasn't even sustainable for the guy whose livelihood depends on it:

jared-fogle-weight-gain-425km120209-1260907331.jpg

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/02/subway-guy-falls-off-the-diet-wagon/

One thing I've learned is eating to a slight calorie deficit or to a maintance is really tough if you aren't exercising. That article says he still "walks". That ain't going to cut it when you've done this for years.

If I were him, I start lifting weights, hitt, running, etc... Would make his looks much better when doing media pics etc...