Confused about how much Im eating

Options
Hi, I posted earlier about how I am kind of stuck and not losing any weight when discussing with my friend she said she reads off the net amount.

For example I have added everything in for today including my exercise and my Food is 1240, Exercise 498 Net 742 but my daily calorie goal is 1200 so I always stick to that but she said I should be making sure my net is also 1200 is that right?

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Your friend is correct!
  • jessjetson85
    Options
    Really? I dont think I could eat anymore I am Full. I have a breakfast snack lunch snack dinner, this diet business is very confusing
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    depends on the person... everyone does it differently... I do it the way your friend does it but some people eat at least 1200 cals and dont eat back any of their exercise cals and that works for them. U can try different things and see what works best for you
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options
    Yes, she is right and you should eat more. When you net under like that your body wants to hold on to the fat because it doesn't know when it is going to be fed properly and wants to make sure it doesn't run out of fuel.
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options
    Deleted for being a double post =)
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Yes and no. It's up to each individual person. But if you're not losing weight by sticking to food at 1200 it might be worthwhile trying to get your NET to 1200. You'll often hear people talking about "eating their exercise calories back" - getting your net amount as close to your goal as possible is what that refers to.

Personally, I don't eat all (only some) of my exercise calories and that's working for me.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    do you get this message when you complete your diary?

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Really? I dont think I could eat anymore I am Full. I have a breakfast snack lunch snack dinner, this diet business is very confusing

It may not be a matter of eating more, just more calorie dense foods -- do you eat nuts? almond butter? yogurt? (your diary is not open, so I couldn't tell). You are right it can be confusing -- have you read through the posts pinned at the front of the forums? Lots of good info there.
  • jessjetson85
    Options
    Yes I get that message sometimes but I thought why would I be eating the calories im exercising it defeats the purpose I may as well eat the same and not exercise and I should lose it right?

I think everyone is different I will just try to eat a bit more and see if that works!

Thanks Everyone :)
  • jessjetson85
    Options
    Yes eating lots of nuts no yoghurt, but I think I will also start looking at the foods I am eating I must be eating the wrong types.

Thanks again
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options
    Yes I get that message sometimes but I thought why would I be eating the calories im exercising it defeats the purpose I may as well eat the same and not exercise and I should lose it right?

I think everyone is different I will just try to eat a bit more and see if that works!

MFP has already calculated how many less calories you need to eat in order to lose weight. Eating exercise calories is just eating bonus calories you have earned from working out.

Yes, you can not exercise and just eat the same amount of calories. You will lose weight. However, skinny =/= healthy. You will look and feel better when you exercise as well.
  • beeny83
    beeny83 Posts: 61
    Options

I'm with you on that one!! I don't eat back my workouts but I must say that these past 2 weeks it hasn't been working for me.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I always eat my exercise calories and I've lost 68 lbs. since January. 7.5 lbs. this month alone. Just to give you an idea of how well it works.
  • jessjetson85
    Options
    beeny83 you are similar weight to me and its been about 2 weeks for me too.. thank god its happening to someone else lol