I GAINED WEIGHT!

Options
Ok, I an 5'6" 203 ish
So day before yesterday I had lunch with my daughter. I had 2 slices of supreme pizza. This is not normal for me but I was 200 under my 1200. Yesterday I talked to a friend about sitting still in my weight loss for a week. She suggested adding cals to my diet so yesterday I went to 1400. I burn 400 ish doing cardio (turbo Jam Cardio Party) a day. This AM I got up and out of curiosity I weighed in.I GAINED 3LBS!! Please tell me this is because I was eating to little so when I did eat my body sucked it up. What should I do??I am in week 3 of my weight loss and lost 9 so far.

Replies

• lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    a woman's weight will normally fluctuate 1-4 lbs, there was lots of sodium in the pizza so you're probably retaining some water - not a big deal, don't let it get you off track :-)
  • deshaneman
    Options
    I would need to see your food log for the last week. Generally you gain weight slowly like a pound or .5 pounds per day. 3 pounds in a day sounds like water retention.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - it's probably water that you retained because of the salt in the pizza. If you eat high sodium foods, you need to drink plenty of water to flush the extra sodium out of your body.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Agreed, likely water, and if you are upping your calories to try to break off a plateau, I would give it two solid weeks for your body to adjust before really seeing it work or deciding it doesn't. 1 day is just one day.
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You could also be losing fat and gaining muscle over time as well but that's more than likely the water :)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    calm down. if you're in this for the long haul, it will come out in the wash. just stay the course.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    a woman's weight will normally fluctuate 1-4 lbs, there was lots of sodium in the pizza so you're probably retaining some water - not a big deal, don't let it get you off track :-)
    I agree with this, drink some more fluids
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to the high level of sodium in pizza.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This happened in the span of one day? If I understood correctly, you increased your calories and the next day immediately experienced weight gain?
  • paravision
    Options
    I think it was 2 days. I made my diary public. As you can see I eat really healthy usually. Pizza is rare.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    It's not fat or muscle. It's water. It will fall off, don't panic! I always go 2 steps forward, one step back on my weight, and have since I started.
  • paravision
    Options
    This happened in the span of one day? If I understood correctly, you increased your calories and the next day immediately experienced weight gain?
    Yes, I weighed in Sunday at 203.2 today was 206.0
    Pizza Monday added cals Yesterday...
  • esco76
    esco76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the daily fluctuations as you should be thinking about small long term lifestyle changes. One thing to note as said above, salts and mostly hidden salts in food can lead to weight gain. Example, I used to think I was eating well by using "soy sauce." What an error, as it had so much sodium in it.

Keep up the good effort.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies and protein today, and lots of water. Try eating light before bed and weigh yourself in the morning. LIke everyone else is saying you are retaining water and i know when i eat pizza or something salty the night before i weigh in im usually bloated the next morning which shows up on the scale. Weigh yourself again tomorrow morning you will most likely see a difference.
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    Don't worry, this stuff happens to me when I eat out too. If I have mexican or something (yummmmm) I am like 1-2 pounds heavier the next day and I notice my hands are poofy (sooo sexy haha). It's sort of crazy, actually. Come to think of it I really need to be drinking more water.. my poor kidneys!! =P
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm kind of going through the same thing at the moment. I lost six pounds very quickly, waited a week, weighed and nothing happened. I've been coming in under my calorie goal consistently but the last few days I haven't eaten as well as usual. Today I weighed and I've gained, I think half a pound.

Here's what I'm going to do: go back to eating healthy food, not just staying within calories. Drink lots of water, and wait a week or two until I weigh myself again. It's really frustrating though!
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Yes, I weighed in Sunday at 203.2 today was 206.0
    Pizza Monday added cals Yesterday...

Remember: It takes 3500 calorie surplus over maintenance to gain 1 pound of fat. It's not fat. And it can take a week or more to drop that water, but when you do you will most likely see a drop in fat too. It's called a "stall and whoosh" and happens to almost everyone.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it; I was the same way. I wasn't eating enough and then I found this website and started eating the recommended amount of calories and although I haven't lost tons of weight, the inches are just falling off with lots of exercise but I am gaining lots of muscle as well. Since starting I have lost almost 10lbs and should be at that goal my month end so take a deep breath and move on.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    It's probably water weight. Pizza has a ton of sodium in it and I know when I've had just one slice the scale is always up the next day. Give it a day or two, drink lots of water and you'll see the scale move in the right direction again.

There are so many things that can mess with the number on the scale.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    chang your dairy settings so it shows sodium, and see if that's the obvious culprit.

Don't stress over fluctuations, but drink your water and I'm sure it wasn't a real gain....