Saying goodbye

Options
Have you had any trouble saying goodbye to things? I've lost 15 lbs, but at 5'2" that means my old clothes already look ridiculous. It's been hard to let them go. I was going to give them to my cousin cousin, but she's aslo using mfp and having success at a much faster rate than me. So, beutiful clothes with noone to wear them and fear that if I let them stay in my closet, I'll let myself slip into being able to wear them again. Anyone had similar issues? What did you do?

Replies

• sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thats great!!! Get rid of them girl . You can donate them,, There are alot of people that can use them :)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If they're in really good shape, take them to an upscale consignment shop.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I can't say I ever had such a similar attachment to my wardrobe but I took all of my stuff that was too big down to Goodwill and picked up some smaller stuff while I was there, win-win.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I kept my good cloths because I am going to have another child and will need larger clothes during that process.
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you have some really nice pieces could you take them to a dressmaker and have them altered?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm having that issue right now. I'm still wearing a lot of the clothes that I wore when I was 20 pounds heavier. For me, it's more an issue of economics since I don't want to buy a new fall coat just yet or new dress pants or skirts when I know that I still have more weight to lose. I look a little ridiculous, but I'm holding out a little while longer. Eventually, I will donate my old cloths to the Salvation Army or Good Will.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Sell them on Craigs List! Make a photobucket account and post a "closet sale" and you'll make some $$ back.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Have you had any trouble saying goodbye to things? I've lost 15 lbs, but at 5'2" that means my old clothes already look ridiculous. It's been hard to let them go. I was going to give them to my cousin cousin, but she's aslo using mfp and having success at a much faster rate than me. So, beutiful clothes with noone to wear them and fear that if I let them stay in my closet, I'll let myself slip into being able to wear them again. Anyone had similar issues? What did you do?

My closet has gone from about 300+ items to <40 quickly. It happens.

The last set of XL stuff I'm giving to a customer of mines nephew, his mom is single and not getting much help from her ex. He's getting a pretty good bit of top brand clothes. :/ sad to see them go, but then I put on my 34w pants (from 38-40) and my medium polo (from XL-XXL) and it's all right in the universe.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them! It will help you stay on track. Besides, wouldn't you rather have some nice, smaller clothes? I get that people get sentimental with "things"....memory books, high school yearbooks, wedding gown, baby's first shoes....but a bunch of clothes that are too big & don't flatter you? Nah, give them to Goodwill or have a yard sale.

Congrats on your loss so far! :flowerforyou:
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Donate them to charity and move on
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Donate them to charity - you clear the space for new clothes that fit you, the person who buys them gets new clothes, and the charity gets money for their work. Everyone wins.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Yep I COMPLETELY understand....
    I have 5 boxes ( yes, I'm serious) of boxes of various size clothing I WANT to get rid of- for the exact same reasons.
    and they're washed, folded and in boxes, but I haven't loaded them into the trunk YET.......
    it''s like the same BIZARRE emotional attachment I had to FOOD...
    but I've broken FREE from it, so I NEED to do this too........

I think your post has given me the courage I need.
    Realizing they're going to a "good home" would ease my mind...

but getting rid of my "safety net" is KEY to my mental state right now-
    Part of me would like to literally BURN them to really make it a permanent thing in my mind that I'm NEVER going back....
    but that is so completely wasteful/selfish....
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I put mine on consignment with a very nice resale shop. Gives me some chump change for NEW beautiful clothes - in a smaller size, of course!
  • trish1960
    Options
    Take them to a consignment shop. You can sell them and then use that money to buy new skinny clothes.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I sold them! It's easier to let them go if you get a little bit out of them. No way was I keeping them!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I felt like you, you're not alone. it took me a while but almost all of my old clothes are gone now. I think having belief that you're not 'going back' takes a bit of time sometimes.
    I must confess I have still got a pair of PJ bottoms that are a size 22 and I'm a 14/16 now! lol silly as they're like clown pants but they do remind me how far I've come! lol
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A friend sold all her clothes that no longer fit on Ebay to make money to buy new clothes. She was very successful!
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have this problem as I was in denial over my weight before starting MFP and was stuffing myself into clothes routinely 2-3 sizes too small which now fit! :) Also over the years of yo-yo dieting, I've held onto all my nice clothes and now have something in sizes 12 through to 20 - it's like I have my own boutique! I will be throwing out the bigger sizes as I lose this time though, if only for the storage space! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I bet you could find someone in need to take them, then you can feel doubly good.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If the clothes are in good condition I would normally sell them on eBay. If not, I would take them to a recycle bank. What I sold on eBay earlier in the year, the money helped contribute to my summer holiday to New York!